Shoptalkforums.com

For Your Air Cooled Pleasure!
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: early t3 engine case with no cam bearings and newer guts.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:08 am 

Hi type3 gurus,

have a early engine case (must be 1961-62)with no cam bearings. Also have the guts of a late t3 engine.
If i drop the cam into the case, it looks like it could fit. Does anybody know if the cams are the same or do i run into problems butting this together?

munch

Post subject: Re: early t3 engine case with no cam bearings and newer guts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:09 am 

Cam journal dimensions are the same.
Factory spec for radial play between cam & case is .02-.05mm. The wear limit is .12mm, but you can expect poor hot-idle oil pressure if it's over about .08mm.
It is possible to machine the early cases to accept insert cam bearings, but it probably wouldn't be cost-effective these days.

Personally I'd rather have a 1970 or newer (dual-relief/large-passage) case. I wouldn't trust any without "case-savers" (steel inserts for the head studs).
If your car is swingaxle so you don't need to use the rear support, you aren't limited to using a Type III case - a Type I case will work with a little modification for the oil filler tube. I've even seen unmodified Beetle cases used, with a flexible dipstick and a breather can altered to take a twist-off cap.
For that matter, it's not extremely unusual to find a Beetle case that has the 3-point mount bosses in its casting (they may require threading, if not drilling, but they're sometimes present).

Post subject: Re: early t3 engine case with no cam bearings and newer guts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:42 am 

Thanks for the quick answer. Just swept together what i found in my garage to built a stock engine. The case is in very good condition, so would throw the stuff together. Its just fine to have no cam bearings, because i save the money for new ones :lol:

munch