Electronic Ignition Trigger Wheels

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
supersuk

Electronic Ignition Trigger Wheels

Post by supersuk »

Hello everyone, I have designed a trigger wheel to specifically work for the VW type 3 pancake motors. I have two designs available:

1. Trigger wheel with holes
2. Trigger wheel with slots

Both are the same price, $40 + $6 shipping.

These can be used to control an electronic ignition such as EDIS and Megasquirt units. Soon, I will have a bracket for a VR sensor, a bracket for the manifold air temp (MAT) sensor, and a bracket for the IGN-4 coil purchased from diyautotune.com.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ign4 ... p-409.html

The bracket for the MAT sensor will allow the the sensor to be mounted inside one air cleaner of a dual throttle body set up to get the most accurate air temp measurement.

The bracket for the coil will allow it to be mounted to the top of the engine case using the top 3 front most bolts that seals the case. Sorry, but I don't have any pictures of this yet.

Once i get all the brackets made and tested, I will make a set that will include the following:

1. Trigger Wheel
2. VR Sensor Bracket
3. Coil Bracket
4. MAT Bracket

The VR Sensor Bracket is shown below in aluminum, but the actual one is made of steel. I use aluminum for prototyping. I will attach the model numbers of the VR sensor that can be used with this bracket.

supersuk

Re: Electronic Ignition Trigger Wheels

Post by supersuk »

Oh, I forgot to mention that the VR sensor bracket will only work for later model type 3 engines since it will not clear the earlier models with the top engine support.
Munchhausen

Post by Munchhausen »

Pictures of the trigger wheel?
Maybe want one. Which VR-sensor are you using?
Hope the sensorbracket is within the 40$?
supersuk

Post by supersuk »

Here are the pictures of the trigger wheels. Sorry, I had forgot to post them. The brackets for the VR sensor will be about $20 and some final slight bending will be necessary to fit your fan shroud as they all are not 100% the same. It will be easy enough to do. The VR sensor is out of a Ford. Here is a list of the sensors that will work with the bracket.

Standard Motor Products PC319
Neihoff FF440C ( I have this one)
BWD Automotive CSS14
Airtex 5S1752
AC Delco 213-2049
Motorcraft DY922

Just find the cheapest one, it should look like how it does in my picture.

Munchhausen

Post by Munchhausen »

Nice! Where you point the timinglight at? Looks like the normal used hole is taken by the sensor.

munch
supersuk

Post by supersuk »

You won't need the timing light anymore. All you have to do is set it and forget it. All the timing is adjusted through your new electronic ignition system, In my case a megasquirt 2.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Very cool!

Earlier this year I went MS-II with my type-3 1776. But I only did fuel and left the stock ignition in place.

I may just have to give this a try.

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

If I go COP (Coil On Plug) and wish to get rid of the distributor altogether, can I also use this trigger as the MS IGN signal?

Max
supersuk

Post by supersuk »

Yes, you use this trigger wheel to let the ECU know the position of the crank for wasted spark configurations. Say Bye Bye distributor and now have the ability to make your own advance curves at all RPM and MAP levels. The ultimate in ignition control for your aircooled VW without paying crazy amounts for a proprietary setup!

If you want to do sequential, you'll need another wheel for the cam position. I've never done the sequential before so I don't have much more info on that. I'd imagine you could use the FI distributors to get that signal? It would be interesting for someone to develop that...I may have to give that a try someday.
Last edited by supersuk on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supersuk

Post by supersuk »

Oh, and you have to modify your MS II to use the VR or Hall sensor. Make sure you pick the right mod for which sensor you will be using. The sensor I show in the pictures are of a VR sensor (2wire).
Munchhausen

Post by Munchhausen »

supersuk wrote: All you have to do is set it and forget it.
I was afraid you will say that. In theory you are right, but dont have a good feeling, not be able to test it.
5° is not much for the postion of the sensor but alot for a happy or unhappy engine.
Maybe iam to afraid?

munch
supersuk

Post by supersuk »

You have to understand how to set it up properly first. Basically, find the position of true TDC not by the markings on the pulley but by actually finding the real engine TDC. Set the missing tooth so that it is exactly 90 degrees BTDC and mount the trigger wheel there. Then you will have set the baseline setting for the timing. After that, you dyno tune to get the appropriate advance numbers for each RPM/Map value or however else you set up your spark tables. You also have to make sure the sensor is placed in the correct position relative to the trigger wheels missing tooth and the engines TDC. However, this can be adjusted in the megasquirt software.

Munch, looks like you have a lot of reading to do. It will help you grasp the concept a little better.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

You still need to be able to put a timing light on it to trim the error to zero in your software. You want your software timing value, and your light, to match.
supersuk

Post by supersuk »

Doh! I totally forgot about setting the base timing. Looks like I have some reading to do. hahaha However, the pulley can still be seen with the bracket installed and a timing light can be used.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

The angle will be wrong. Might have to make a new TDC mark that can be viewed from the left.

Max