Shoptalkforums.com

For Your Air Cooled Pleasure!
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with my VIN and getting information from the VIN
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:51 pm 

I have a rail buggy that was made from a floor pan of a type 3. It took me some time but the only VIN# that is still there on this rail is the vin# on the tunnel. The number is 366034211*. I don't know if the asterik is important at the end of the numbers or not. Is there a site or somewhere I can go to get all the information on this VIN number? At one time it was street legal and I wanted to put it back on the road. I am not sure if I really need a clear title or not. When I bought it, he didn't know where the vin was located, so he left it off of the Bill of Sale. I am going to go back and get a new Bill of Sale made from him , now that I have the VIN. I was just wondering what all I could find out from the VIN number incase the DMV starts asking me too many questions. If they do ask questions, I wanted to know as much about the car as I could. If I can't get it legaly on the road, it kind of changes things.
If anyone has any tips for me, it would be a huge help.

James

Post subject: Re: Need help with my VIN and getting information from the V
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:58 am 

1966 Squareback. Early production number, probably built in August of 1965. I believe you'll find an asterisk preceding the number as well; these have no significance, they were just added to make it harder to alter the VIN.

Post subject: Re: Need help with my VIN and getting information from the V
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm 

Oh okay, I am going to start a build thread about this buggy. I called the tag office today and found out that I have to file a T22B form. That just mainly lets them know that is isn't stolen. I just hope the pan isn't stolen now. Here is a picture of it.