AC install ideas?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Steve Arndt

Re: AC install ideas?

Post by Steve Arndt »

That modular under dash evap setup is nice! Half the size of the "bug" specific one.
Soul

Post by Soul »

It's the same one I posted on page 1 of this thread. Pile seemed to find the cheapest place selling them.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

my ghia mounted the condensor in the nose, on the beam.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

I looked at a nose mount on the notch, first the condenser would have to be a shorty, second no more spare tire well, and third why run all that line to the front when there is plenty of room above the trans? The deal killer is the condenser would have a really good chance at getting damaged by road debris, i'm always dodge a shredded tire or other various items of garbage on the road.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

OK, compressor and under dash unit should be shipping Monday.
Found a nice radiator fan and nicer 2.5" round outlets for cheap
(the big round outlets are going at the ends of the dash, may need to relocate the emergency flasher switch and I need to make a new glove box anyway, will mold in clearance for a 2.5" AC hose on the R side)

Fan: 10" Maradyne Universal Cooling Fan # M103K $60.50
(I might need 2, but this moves some air)
Outlets: Parr Satin Round AC Air Conditioning Vent PRR5015 (2@$12/ea, usually $30ish ea)
(+ combined ~$20 ship, both from same vendor, relocation sale)

The vendor needs to get their combined shipping auto calculator fixed, as it didn't actually subtract what it said it was supposed to be saving me, I rather suspect 2 AC vents will easily fit in that cooling fan box. Will probably ship Monday.

Remaining on list: Crank pulley/belt/tensioner, Condenser(s?) (TBD) rcvr/dryer, trinary switch, lines/fittings, and a lot of sweat.

My Son and I are seeing Volbeat in Austin Tuesday, but I don't have to go back to work until Sunday evening so hopefully stuff will show up while I'm off.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

After taking a closer look, It might be much neater to make an under dash "kneepad"/junk shelf attached to the bottom of the dash and put 4 of the AC vents in that, and combine into a center console for radio etc.

The "junk shelf" on my Vanagon is very handy, and the T3s dash is WAY up there, esp with the Corrado seats I'm running, there's ~9+" of vertical clearance from knee to bottom of the dash.

I may make a `glass glovebox too, the paper mache is ridiculous.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Roverjosh

Post by Roverjosh »

guys, I just found this one from Old Air Products. I am thinking this would simplify the design for the underdash unit. I am a gluten for punishment, because I want a custom under dash unit that is surrounded with material like our top dash pad...I think I am in for a rude awakening when it comes time to get this covered, but is beside the point.

The big benefit of this unit looks to be profile of the condensor and fans.

Just my 2 cents.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Link>?

I started a "review//install" thread here:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=137039

The under dash setup looks to rock fit wise and blows HARD, might be a few weeks before it's blowing cold air tho..
Eastwoods 200A AC/DC TIg welder's on sale fro $750/freee shipping, and everyone loves AC/DC... :lol:
"I need it to weld up the compressor mount, really honey... ":mrgreen:
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

I just scored me a brand new, made in the USA, sanden for a big rig for super cheap, I fear it may be overkill :(
Roverjosh

Post by Roverjosh »

Shee ite, I need a welder, but I don't have the money... I will have to sell something. That sounds like a steal for a TIG welder. Is it good quality, in your opinion?

Ninja, a big rigs cab isn't that much bigger then a notch, so I figure you should be fine.... Unless its for a sleeper cab then, yeah overkill. But in a good way!!! :twisted:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If it's the unit I'm thinking of it's a score if you can find room for it.

Double sealed, much larger bearings etc.

Right now I'm destroying my "shop" looking for an 8-32 screw... putting a gas valve in my old MIG to hang a spool gun on it.
Non-metric bits are unusual in my house.
(everything's workin electrically now, mounted the Binzel connector etc)

I'll probably break down soon and spend 30 min driving to the nearest hodepo.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT
physically it's identical to a sd508 but it's a sd7h15shd, the SHD stands for super heavy duty and it has a 300cc capacity, msrp is $450 but I got it for under a bill NIB, I couldn't pass that up. Hopefully it's not too much. 5" pulley and a 12v clutch with vertical fittings so physically everything should jive. http://www.truckerac.com/sanden-super-h ... -4392.html
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

OT---RE Eastwood TIG
The reviews of the Eastwood 200A AC/TC TIG are all pretty good except for the ones obviously made by Red/Blue shills who have never actually touched one.

You'd have to spend ~3X the money to match the capabilities, and the 3 year warranty is a clincher.
Direct competition to a Miller Diversion 200, only missing an arguably useless feature or 2, which may be a feature in reality.

(Even though you have to ship it to PA for warranty, at least it's not China...)

BUT---If you are welding for a living, the ability to get it fixed _today_ is vital, so the expense of the Millers etc is justified.

I'll take my chances in the long run, for home shop use it's a gimme.

I'm going to be powering a spool gun most of the time anyway, although I did pick up a nice compact headed water cooled TIG torch for welding in confined spaces like exhaust ports... I really want to try the pulsed DC MIG with aluminum, and SS but I may need to fab an external pulser as that one is fixed at 60hz, which is perfectly ok MOST of the time. (I want to add .5-1hz, anything in between 1 Hz and ~30 Hz really does grate on your nerves for some reason)

OTOH I'm modding an old $75 Einhell 120 dual mig with the spool gun NOW hoping that having a decent wire feed will be enough so I can save the TIG$$ for awhile and finish the AC and some other misc projects.

I also may yet build a 18HP riding welder, really the only thing I need are a couple ~150A alternators cheap.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

I ordered the busdepot adapter. well it just showed up and guess what, it's this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT

BTW the adapter came from fort worth, tx so they had it dropped shipped from that guy. Grrrrrrr, I feel like I just threw away $30.

ninja edit: I trial fitted the compressor brkt and i figured out why the bus engine hanger is 2" longer on the driver side...it's to fit a compressor there. I am going to have a fun time trying to fit everything, might have to stay SA and run a kafer brace and do away with the engine hanger. It's going to get interesting.
automotoro

Post by automotoro »

i had the idea of upgrading the alternator/generator and installing and electric compressor and equipment in the front end of the car where theres plenty of space.