Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
bullyboy

Re: "Type3" front spoiler.

Post by bullyboy »

Pictures please
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I'll try to snap a front and side view in the AM.

I also suspect I have discovered at least part of the reason why my fuel economy took a 5-7 MPG hit when I went MS3---
I "lost" the spoiler immediately before the swap.

Fuel gauge hardly moved today, will get a good measurement on the next few weeks.

Now looking for some thin lexan sheet to make some front rain gutter fairings. :lol:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/TK ... bumper-fab

A couple of weeks ago this was on Powerblock’s Trucks… making a spoiler off a bumper. It is pretty easy and explanatory. I am not sure what your rules are on spoilers/air dams but this might give some ideas or help someone.

I happened to turn on a NASCAR racing show on the Speed channel; they were talking about splitters and the comment was made about the lower shape being so important… they did not want them to scape and the generous round bottom/leading edge of the splitter worked better than a sharp or square shape… something that the Germans discovered just after WWI for leading edge wing shape, that and a thicker wing.

Anyway… for what it is worth.

Pile’ sorry about the typing in the PM, I must have been tired as I didn’t go through spell check or re-reading it… apparently :roll: :oops: )

Lee
bullyboy

Post by bullyboy »

I got bored this weekend and pulled the deep duckbill off my 86 cabby
so that is the GTI 4" wide spoiler?
is the front end lowered?
a ground to beam or bumper measurement would be good too to compare,
my T3 is getting some updates in the garage in the next couple weeks (new trans and short axle swap) so this would be a good job to add to my list.
builtbychevy

Post by builtbychevy »

Checkout the bmw guys at http://www.vacmotorsports.com/ they have neat stuff for the gt3 class. Or even HRPworld.com and then pegasus
My Store: http://www.DirtyRacingAndRods.com
My Blog: http://blog.dirtyracingandrods.com/

If you can't run from John Law with it... It ain't no good!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Took some pics today, will have to wait until I get home tonight to U/L.

front of pan at front of door, ~7" high.
center of duckbill (lowest point) 6",
For LSR duty you could cut it off straight across and it would be about level with the lowest point on the body.

You would still probably want to take it off for loading/unloading from a trailer.

It's a ~4" duckbill, but it's even not close to straight down.

(left phone at work... so tomorrow night)
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.

Post by 560 »

Why do you keep us in so much suspense???????!!????? :P

Looking forward to the photos.
Wish weather would warm a bit so I could have some motivation to work on car. :cry:

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

560 wrote:Why do you keep us in so much suspense???????!!????? :P

Looking forward to the photos.
Wish weather would warm a bit so I could have some motivation to work on car. :cry:

Mike
No more suspense :lol:

The first pic in the thread actually gives a better oblique view
The center hangs down ~1" lower than the front end clamp bits, which are the lowest hardpoints on the chassis.

I also don't have the center screw in ATM, (why it doesn't look straight) was planning to do it today, but I'd need a snorkel.
OT, discovered my 73 T3 has the electrical contacts for a washer pump in addition to the valve, so I'll be bringing those out.
(currently in midst of replacing wonky ignition switch/cleaning/greasing the bearing etc)

Sorry the level is a bit off on the second shot, also note the bumper is tweaked down at a slight angle.
Shot with my phone.
duckbill1.jpg
duckbill2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by 560 »

That little bit helps so much with stability? Nice to know.

I also plan to string the car and use fan to see how things react after some minor modifications.

Thanks for the photos.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That little bit makes a highly disproportionate difference on a T3, as the front end is aero is designed more akin to a boat than most cars.

If you actually ran a front skidplate properly shaped w/smooth transition for a flat bottom plate (sometimes made from Alumilite--- sign shops have this) you could probably have smooth airflow underneath and a huge amount of downforce with side skirts and some guides underneath, as the cars cross section up front is an inverted wing, admittedly with some nasty gaps from the factory, but what if...

As it is, it simply keeps a whole lot of air from going underneath that would otherwise..

There are few other cars that come with hood airflow splitters from the factory.
(on late cars, that front horizontal trim isn't a handle, and it's way too complex//deep to only be trim)