Grant wheel install in a 73 T3

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Piledriver

Grant wheel install in a 73 T3

Post by Piledriver »

Bought a new $50 painted Grant steering wheel for my 73 square, selecting the right parts is a project in itself.

Spent a couple days ordering/waiting on parts, and when the 2" spacer kit came in, it was missing the 2" spacer... so it was time for plan B. (The catalog was nearly useless)

Ended up buying a really nice alloy wheel that cost almost twice as much...
Kicker---the TOTAL cost delta was <$20.
FILE0362.JPG
Hint--- You want a 4" or greater dish to go on the "installation kit" 1" hub, and you will probably want another inch of spacer. A 5" total dish wheel and spacer works OK, a little more to taste. at least on a `73.

If you go with the ~$50 GT wheels, they have a 3" dish, and will need the $~30 #4000 2" spacer to even bolt it on, and the horn button mechanism is (IMHO) trash. The ~$90 wheels have a 3"-4" spacer and a decent horn button mechanism/boot, and work, although IMHO it needs to be 1/2'-1" further out, depending on the fatness of your fingers.
FILE0363.JPG
In the end, I figure I spent $17 more than installing the $50 painted steel wheel.
I will be spinning up a ~3/4"-1" alloy spacer at work(depending on what's in the scrap bin), but it's not required.

Of course the really nice polished alloy wheel highlights the fact the rest of the car spent the last 4 years under a tree... :oops:

The steerings a bit stiff parking with the 205/60s on 914 Mahle rims with the smaller wheel, but not too bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Piledriver

Re: Grant wheel install in a 73 T3

Post by Piledriver »

I ended up spinning up a 2.5"" additional aluminum spacer, works nice and gives a nice comfortable driving position.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Roverjosh

Re: Grant wheel install in a 73 T3

Post by Roverjosh »

That looks great! Nice work.