T3 front end--- What to inspect for ?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Piledriver

T3 front end--- What to inspect for ?

Post by Piledriver »

As I'm a newbie in the T3 realm, what specifically do I need to inspect for as I go through the frontend?

I know it has to be kept greased well or hard to find/replace parts will wear out, but other than tie rod ends with 1/2" of play giving the car an intense attraction to rain grooves , what particular expensive parts do we check out, assuming all the POs were morons. (usually a safe assumtion, espectially given the 34PICT-3 that was sticking out of a hole in the engine cover... In a SQUAREBACK...)

No...Really. I think I still have the pictures, it was classic, and hammering that bug manifold onto the T3 was fatal for the incomplete cooling system tin... It has a T4 in it now, so NBD)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
david58

Re: T3 front end--- What to inspect for ?

Post by david58 »

Rust, worn parts.
Just bumping this up Pile. 8)
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
fusername

Post by fusername »

threads almost a year old, still on the front page, fraida bump wont help you much
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=124108
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Thanks, fuser, that and the needle bearins is a good start.
The steering gear box seems to have a little vertical play in the output shaft, but that's adjustable.
EDIT---Adjusted, made a huge difference as expected, looks like it hadn't been touched since `73, still need to check/add gear lube.

Now that I have it in running/driving state it's time to start ripping it apart again!

The sway bar (upper beam) seems to lack zerk fittings... still looking.

Started my Google run, aircoolednut has a nice pagetto read while I wait on a Bentley...
(Should have ordered that months ago)
http://www.aircoolednut.com/erkson/ttt/ ... ystem.html
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

The upper grease fitting is just behind the beam to body mount bolt head, buried under grease. There is a hole in the beam to frame clamp piece that it sticks through. Hope that makes sense...... :)
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples