Type IV Store / LN Engineering Price Comparison

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
R2.0

Type IV Store / LN Engineering Price Comparison

Post by R2.0 »

I've been wanting to do a T4 conversion to my Ghia for many years, and even started collecting parts. Then life intervened (for about 18 years) and I recently started looking again. And was immediately hit with sticker shock. LN Engineering wants $6,800 for a 2270 kit which doesn't even include cylinders!

Then I started pricing T4 parts from other sites, and saw they weren't exactly cheap either. So I decided to do some price comparisons. What follows is my research and results, though the conclusions aren't as cut and dried as I'd like.

Methodology
: The LN Engineering Type IV store lists all the components that go into the 2270 kit, in enough detail that I could get most items apples to apples. I used Aircooled.Net as the main price source; where I couldn't find it there I used Type IV store prices. I also used DPR for the crankshaft, and AA for heads (more on that later.)

Results: The following is the price of the Type IV store kit sourced individually, EXCEPT for cylinder heads
Type IV Store 2270 DIY without Heads.jpg
As you can see, not a small chunk of change. The only number about which I have real doubts is the head stud kit - that's the price for the ARP set, which were the only ones I could find on the Type IV store.

Here's where we start comparing apples and grapes. Or perhaps golden apples and apples. (Sorry for the crappy formatting)

Part Source Cost Total
2.0 Liter Heads 48x38 AA $2,015.91 $6,100.01
RS+ Cylinder Heads Type IV Store $4,092.75 $8,176.85

With the AA heads, the DIY price of the package comes to within $700 of the LN Engineering package. And with the Len Hoffman heads, the LN Engineering package saves a whopping $1,375 over buying the parts separately.

Another item is the camshaft. The Type IV store has cam packages with various options. I did a similar exercise with the cam packages versus a DIY package, and found that one would only pay about $93 more for the the custom grinds that LN Engineering uses.

One note- I found the Type IV store prices to be generally cheaper on individual items.

Conclusion: The 2270 Type IV store package is a good deal when compared to buying parts piecemeal with the following caveats:
  • You think the RS+ heads and the Raby cam are worth the extra $700
  • You are getting a package from one source and only have "one throat to choke"
  • You are starting with a bare block, OEM liners, 1.7l rocker arms, and misc small parts
I mention the last one because I already have about $1,500 worth of stuff once I account for things like reusing head studs, various hardware, etc. That throws the math way off for me.

Hope somebody finds this useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 Karmann Ghia Convertible

"As God is my witness I though turkeys could fly." - A. Carlson -
Eddie010

Re: Type IV Store / LN Engineering Price Comparison

Post by Eddie010 »

Nice , I sometimes wonder would it be cheaper to buy a set.
AA also sells a 1/2 inch longer headstuds for about 225 dollars.
Clatter

Re: Type IV Store / LN Engineering Price Comparison

Post by Clatter »

Good on you for putting this up and doing the homework.

The ‘one throat to choke’ factor can be pretty huge.
Because of LN’s background and relationship to Jake and all,
Their direct involvement with the parts themselves could be invaluable.

Getting things piecemeal could result in no end of shenanigans and grief.

Because heads are such a key part of these motors,
A Len set would be worth far more than the $700 difference.
IIRC, he starts with a set of those AA castings these days.
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853