Exhaust headache

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
bowtietrks2

Exhaust headache

Post by bowtietrks2 »

Am building a 1968 Notch, with type 3 auto transmission and a 2.0 ltr vanagon motor. Have mounts fabricated, and motor and trans in car, but dont want to run heavy heater box's. Have purchased header which bolts to heater box's, it will need modifcation. Does anyone make performance exhaust for type IV motors?
Piledriver

Re: Exhaust headache

Post by Piledriver »

bowtietrks2 wrote:Am building a 1968 Notch, with type 3 auto transmission and a 2.0 ltr vanagon motor. Have mounts fabricated, and motor and trans in car, but dont want to run heavy heater box's. Have purchased header which bolts to heater box's, it will need modifcation. Does anyone make performance exhaust for type IV motors?
There are a few of us hacking on that issue.

AFAIK the closest thing to "works out of the box" for a T4>T3 swap will be the EMW/FAT "heater box replacement tubes", 1 5/8" and almost equal length.
(Each SIDE is about right, but L&R differ about an inch)

These are oval port ONLY and expect to spend some "quality time" making them actually fit/seal. They can also be long lead time...

You would have to get some flanges cut and modify these for Vanagon squareports, but oddly that would probably be faster than getting them to fit what they are supposed to. :lol:
(I could be wrong, but the VW Golf (Mk1) flanges look VERY similar to the Squareports...)

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/pvw/2 ... x+Repl.+Pr.

Pair those up with a Thunderbird clone and you have something OK for a stockish motor.

A Bursch 914 1.7/1.8 exhaust would probably work much better (and is better made) but the header or the "HX" need extended about an inch...
...it tucks in too much in the middle and will hit the fan housing.

I'm aiming the EMW pipes I have forwards, and when the collector shows up, will attach ~900mm of 1 7/8" to them, collector up by the trans nosecone, and then bring a tailpipe back. (May get a turbo in between somewhere :twisted: )

Collector:

From Megs (cone engineering) ~$50-60 in SS.
http://www.coneeng.com/collectors.html
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bowtietrks2

Re: Exhaust headache

Post by bowtietrks2 »

Thanks for all the info, and links get me just what i needed.