wheels for t-3

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
stanthedog

wheels for t-3

Post by stanthedog »

I'm going to lower my 73 square about 2 or 3 in. I eather want to use fuch or phone dials.(just what I'm considering at this time) Does someone sell rotors and stub axle's/drums already drilled for the 5-bolt pattern.or do I have to take my old parts in to a shop and have it done. I'd rather have new parts. And how wide can I go.
Marc

Post by Marc »

There's no problem finding new rotors drilled/threaded for 5x130 lug bolts - but if you want press-in studs you'll probably end up enlisting the services of a machine shop to get it done right (spot-facing of the backside is required).
However, the only 5x130 rotors I've seen offered are made for the Type I market - they'll work on earlier (`66-mid`72) Type III but have the wrong offset for your `73. I've never seen III rear hubs offered in 5x130 either, so you'll most likely have to have yours modified. Beware of the new replacement III hubs made in Brazil, too - they're junk compared to OEM German.
As for rim/tire width I've never tried to see what the maximum is, but I suspect that you won't be able to get too aggressive without encountering problems with fender/chassis clearance (and turning circle up front, especially with a lowered front end). Even with conservative rim width (like 5"F/6"R) you'll probably need to invest in some spacers - most Porsche rims have more offset/backspace than VW.
kombi211

Post by kombi211 »

I currently have 16x7 phone dials on my square. with 20mm spacers I have to watch it a little right now when i turn the front i rub on the beam a little. If you look threw the forum for my post front end rebuild you will see how i did it. I just redrilled new rotors and my rear hubs for the 5x130 pattern to get it rolling for now.

But i have most of the parts already for a IRS conversion and then i am installing 944 front hubs and the 944 alum rear trailing arm as well as the 944t 4 pot calipers all the way around. As soon as i start that project i will post the pics...