Volkswagen type 3 flex plates

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Virgil Kincer

Volkswagen type 3 flex plates

Post by Virgil Kincer »

:D I was told by TrikerTroy that the type 3 autotrannie flex plates were no longer available even from the parts recycling yards.
Troy also told me that there were other parts that the trike builders needed that were no longer available.
I have built a dozen flex disc and several sealer/connector center pieces)
(I don't know what that piece is called. HELP)
I have a machine shop and am a retired machenist
My email address is : [email protected]
You don't need to toss those litle type 3 auto trannies for the need of a flex plate.
When I get around to building my trike, I want an automatic. I don't want to be bothered with changing gears. I just want to rrrrride.
Does anyone remember the late 40's dodge fluid drives? I understand that voldswagen has one similar . Is that the type 4? Yes I am a newbie.
Marc

Post by Marc »

You're probably referring to the "AutoStick" that was available in Beetles starting in `68. It's a 3-speed manual trans with a torque converter, fed pressurized ATF by piggy-gacked gears on the engine oil pump. They have an internal clutch that's operated by a vacuum servo when you press on the shift lever. The whole story's here:
http://www.vwar.org/

They're getting hard to find new parts for, and it's even harder to find people with the know-how and a few specialized tools needed to service them, but there are lots of used ones still around, left over after converting cars to proper 4-speeds....

Oh, and the AutoStick flexplate is different than the one used on the full-automatic Type III (different TC bolt pattern). So's the flexplate from a Type IV full-automatic (different crankshaft attachment).
Virgil Kincer

VW type 3 flex plates

Post by Virgil Kincer »

Thanks Marc for the reply. Yes I have a type 4 coupler in my shop.
When the type 3 flex disc became harder to fine the volks trike builders would scrounge these and change the type 4 coupler out to a type 3.
The flex disc is the same on type 3 and type 4.
I have a stack of these flex disc in my shop that I have already pressed out. Thanks
gagdteman.jack

Re: Volkswagen type 3 flex plates

Post by gagdteman.jack »

Virgil,
I have a "unique" application and have gone through 4 flex plates (Type III). Too much torque in the motor I think.

If you get this and can, please e-mail me at gadgetman.jack@yahoo so I can talk to you about a "special" flex plate. Thanks!