No drive on an automatic?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
veedweeb

No drive on an automatic?

Post by veedweeb »

I've just swapped the autobox on my '72 square. Got the replacement bolted up to the engine and all back in. Engine's running but there's no drive now.

The selector cable is correctly adjusted according to the Bentley manual and there is nice clean ATF in the box.

I didn't take the torque convertor off the engine, just swapped one box for another. Is it possible that the ATF pump shaft, the middle of the three shafts has come disengaged somehow?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
kombi211

Post by kombi211 »

was it it a good working auto trans that you put in. maybe something with the trans. all the shafts of the torq and pump are splined i dont think that could give a problem,
veedweeb

Post by veedweeb »

kombi211 wrote:was it it a good working auto trans that you put in. maybe something with the trans. all the shafts of the torq and pump are splined i dont think that could give a problem,
I'm told it was a good one, but have only the seller's word on that - he's a trustworthy guy though.

Thanks for the reply :)
veedweeb

Post by veedweeb »

Just to bring this to a conclusion

The small splined shaft that drives the atf pump was not properly engaged, and the drive plate on the pump itself had somehow become damaged. The result is that the splined teeth have been stripped off the shaft, and the gearbox is now scrap

I'll remove the parts I need off the second gearbox and fit them to the original one in the hope of making one good box out of the pair.
LesTroyer

Post by LesTroyer »

you MUST remove the TC from the engine -- otherwise the probability of causing the damage to the pump is about 99%...