1600 questions

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
bkaab

1600 questions

Post by bkaab »

where is the drain plug and where do you fill it?
What weight of oil should I use and how much?

What are some cheap mods for these engines?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Doesn't even know how to change the oil and already wants to do "mods" :roll:
If this is the engine in your Maxi Taxi we're talking about, it's not a Type III. Looks more like a ~`69 1500SP Type I to me (last maintained by someone who knew little about VWs - the generator's installed 90° CCW of correct orientation, a sure sign of a rookie). What's the engine ID number (should be stamped below the generator pedestal)?
The Engine Rebuild and Type 1 Forums are more appropriate than this one. Like many kit cars, no thought at all was given to properly sealing the engine compartment to keep hot air from below from recycling back through the cooling fan. As a result, overheating in traffic is quite common.

First thing you need to do is invest in a manual. I prefer Bentley. but anything's better than nothing.
There's no oil filter on this model engine, only a screen on the pickup which should be cleaned at every oil change. You'll need a gasket kit (111 198 031) and just over 2½ qts of oil. Choose an oil with a high phosphorus content (most modern oils are low-phosphorus to prolong catalytic converter life). Castrol GTX should be easy to find. Avoid too light of an oil, too. Use 10W-40 or even 20W-50 in warm weather.
bkaab

Post by bkaab »

I think I know where the the oil bolt is but my dad doesn't want to take any thing off unless we know for sure :roll:
The guy I bought it off said that it was a 1600 3 speed its been in there family since it was built. It was built on a Convertible VW. I don't know much about Vw's I am more into American V8's. I have done some research and from what I have read 1600's never came in a '69 VW which confused me even more. I hope to learn a lot about Vw's while doing. You got to start some where and seemed like a good place for me to start. We might pull the whole engine out but not sure if we will or not. I plan on buying some kind of book.

So what kind of engine is this and what kind of trans should it have.

Either way its a cool project car.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Let's jump to your other thread and let this one die.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=118996