What do I do first???

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
skoyboy35

What do I do first???

Post by skoyboy35 »

Hi,
I am going to purchase a 1969 Squareback that has been sitting for the past 8 years. It ran good before it was parked and has been out in the desert ever since. My question is, after I tow it home, what are the first things I should do to get it running again?? battery, new gas, spark plugs, oil?? I am not too sure. By the way, it is an automatic with fuel injection. Any help would be greatly appreciated!...Thanks
mackaymanx

Post by mackaymanx »

DON"T tow it without removing the drive shafts first or you will destroy the auto.
Fresh oil, fuel, plugs, fuel filter
There will be more as you go
Brakes - fluid if they are still ok ( i doubt it)
Auto - seals between diff and auto (8 years is a long time for these)
busman78

Post by busman78 »

You really should put new tires on it, or carry a bunch of spares, eight year old tires that have been sitting are probably not safe. Replace all the non metal fuel and vacuum hoses prior to trying to starting the beast.
LesTroyer

Post by LesTroyer »

change the intank filter, new fuel lines, adjust fuel pressure, if you can stroke the injectors out side the manafold that would be good to make sure the flow patter is ok.

Check the vacuume hoses
oil
new break hoses.

LEs
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

To add to that last post...get rid of the in tank filter. With an external filter (which you have)..especially the stock filter which has a buult in packed lint strainer before the main pleated filter....the in tank filter is nothing but a hassle. Ray
73squareback

Post by 73squareback »

If you are towing this on a dolly, than you can just put the rear wheels up on the dolly and you shouldn't have to remove the driveshaft. This will only work if you can lock the steering column. If you can't lock it, then don't try to tow it backwards.
hermit

Post by hermit »

Also if towing backwards, you might want to remove the speedo gear, as backward towing can mess it up.
ploug

Post by ploug »

hermit wrote:Also if towing backwards, you might want to remove the speedo gear, as backward towing can mess it up.
how is this different than driving backwards ?
david58

Post by david58 »

ploug wrote:
hermit wrote:Also if towing backwards, you might want to remove the speedo gear, as backward towing can mess it up.
how is this different than driving backwards ?
Speed :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.