New motor

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
kaz

New motor

Post by kaz »

Hello,

Before I ask my question I just wanted to thank again all who take the time to post replies it really helps.

I am a new owner of a 1972 FI Square. I plan on keeping the original FI. First question is recommendations for reputable suppliers of long blocks and secondlly can I go much larger if any then stock and still keep the reliability and not work against the stock FI.

Thanks,
Rodney
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Personally, I love the stock injection. Not saying its the best...just that it does run very well when tuned properly.

On the type 3, the biggest hurdle to making the engine larger is that the plenum (center section with the TB) and the runners are sized pretty specifically to the engine. You can go....perhaps...to about 1776cc. Thats about it. The larger engine will alter the vacuum signature too far with the smaller intake pipes if you go much larger. You also can use a cam with slightlky higher lift and duration....but it MUST have essentially the same intake valve timing and overlap....or the manifold pressure sensor will have a difficult time with the resulting vacuum signature.
You need to put a much better exhaust on than the restrictive stock one. Also...contact Webcam for a cam that is better than stock...but has essentially the same valve timing. Ray
kaz

Post by kaz »

Thanks Ray
That really helps.

I see different companies selling long blocks. Any recommendations?

Rodney
Towel Rail

Post by Towel Rail »

Not GEX!!