type III rear brakes in a Bug, is master cylinder different?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
dave menche

type III rear brakes in a Bug, is master cylinder different?

Post by dave menche »

I got a Bug based fiber glass kit car. I went to replace teh brake cylinders in the wheels,a dn found to my surprise that the rear drums and shoes, and wheel cylinder was all type III (larger) the fronts are still Bug brakes (note this is a 1970 Bug chassis) the master was not working, so I put a Bug master in (Just happened to have one on hand)

My question is: does the Type III take a different master cylinder for use witht eh larger brakes found ont eh type III? and are teh type III front brakes any different than the Bug front brakes of that era (1970)?

reason i ask, is the peddle travel is excessive compared to my Bug, I figure it is due to the greater volume of the rear cylinders that are type III.

thus if I use a typeIII master (if such thing exists) my excesive peddle travel will be repaired. also need to know if the front sare different Bug to Type III, as that would also i assume impact brake fluid volume, hence peddle travel.
thanks
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

I've never had a problem with a two circuit bug M/C and Type III rear drums...
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Me neither.. the shoes and cylls are super beetle.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I not quite sure what is mixed here.....but beetle cylinders "might" work.....but superbeetle master cylinders will not work properly with a late type 3 brake system....using stock type 3 front calipers and rear type 3 wheel cylinders. Nor will it work for the type 4 which is identical save for bigger calipers on late models and slight differences to rotors. The volume is not the same...and tehstroke is different as well. You end up starving either the fronts or rears depending upon how its installed.
Its not really the rear cylinders. Its the front calipers. They cause exactly what you are finding...excessive pedal travel. Its not that they will not stop...just not as effectively and with terrible travel. This is more notable on the type 4 than the 3...but its there. If you try to adjust the pedal travel out and get careless. you end up with the pedal not returning all the way and not resetting the proportioning flap valves. It startves for fluid because it does not replenish properly.
Also....its not so much the master cylinder volume...its the stroke length allowed on the super beetle cylinder because of the limiting pin under the spring of the secondary piston. Ray