Auto shift point has changed??

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
leisey

Auto shift point has changed??

Post by leisey »

Recently changed all of the vacuum hoses on my FI (73 Fastback)to try and eliminate rough idle - turned out to be trigger points- and the shift points for the auto seem to have changed. what exactly does the restrictor do in the hose to the modulator? Is it critical where it sits in the hose? Instead of changing around 19-20mph (1-2) and around 42-44mph (2-top) it now changes around 25mph and 52mph - which is way too late for city commuting. There doesnt appear to be any leaks at any of the hoses. Any ideas??

Cheers
Dave
QLD, Aust.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Maybe I'm wrong.....but as far as I know...there was no restrictor in the hose to the modulator. Instead of restricting it...why not adjust it? Its adjustable.
Usually vacuum restrictors are only used in very cold climates to limit the onset of vacuum until warmup...like in an advance unit for Canada. There should be no restrictor to the modulator to my knowledge. Ray
leisey

Post by leisey »

raygreenwood wrote:Maybe I'm wrong.....but as far as I know...there was no restrictor in the hose to the modulator. Instead of restricting it...why not adjust it? Its adjustable.
Usually vacuum restrictors are only used in very cold climates to limit the onset of vacuum until warmup...like in an advance unit for Canada. There should be no restrictor to the modulator to my knowledge. Ray
Thanks Ray
I am pretty sure it is not meant to be in the hose as well. But was in there when i took the hose off and for the life of me i could not figure out why it was there. It looks like a roller out of a large bearing - about 3/8 dia, blocked the vac hose off completely. Anyways, it is coming out and i will let u know what happens.
Cheers

Dave
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Be sure and look in the Brown entley type 3 manual. In the automatic transmisssion section is a diagram showing the fluid ports on teh side of the transmission. I think you only need two of them. But...get some adequate gauges and tubing, first adjust the bands and clean the filter etc....its all in that section. Then get a 4mm allen wrench attache your gauges and do the driving test. You adjust the modulator through teh vacuum nipple with the allen wrench. This makes a huge huge difference in smoothness and drivability. I have not seen a single automatic type 3 or 4 transmission with over 50k miles on it that did not badly need this adjustmet. Ray
leisey

Post by leisey »

raygreenwood wrote:Be sure and look in the Brown entley type 3 manual. In the automatic transmisssion section is a diagram showing the fluid ports on teh side of the transmission. I think you only need two of them. But...get some adequate gauges and tubing, first adjust the bands and clean the filter etc....its all in that section. Then get a 4mm allen wrench attache your gauges and do the driving test. You adjust the modulator through teh vacuum nipple with the allen wrench. This makes a huge huge difference in smoothness and drivability. I have not seen a single automatic type 3 or 4 transmission with over 50k miles on it that did not badly need this adjustmet. Ray
Thanks Ray. Removed the metal restrictor from the hose and the auto is shifting smoother than ever. It was always a bit jerky when shifting up or down but is now the best it has been since i bought it.

Cheers

Dave