Type 4 self adjusting brakes on a Type 3?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
vwfreek

Type 4 self adjusting brakes on a Type 3?

Post by vwfreek »

Will the self adjusting rear brakes from a Type 4 work on a Type 3? That is if I can even find any. I guess I'm just too lazy to adjust my brakes all the time. The other option would be a disc brake conversion, but I'd rather just use the drums for the sleeper look.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Yes they would. But...in all of my life I have never seen a single set on this continent. All of teh type 4's I have ever seen have manual adjustable. I would just put discs on is adjustng is a hassle.Ray
Towel Rail

Post by Towel Rail »

"All the time"? Do you ride the brakes a lot? :P
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

If your drums are straight and your brakes are "properly adjusted"....and you do any amount of daily city driving in type 3 and 4....you will be adjusting your brakes every 4-5 weeks. It can make from .5" to 1.0" difference in pedal travel.
Most people adjust the rear brakes too loose ...and/or have poor hydraulic pressure to the rear (more common on type 4). This results in a more common 80/20 front to rear usage...instead of the factory designed and adjusted 70/30.
If you notice that you car pitches more heavily to the front on stopping than maybe it should....or that your front pads wear relatively fast....look into it.
I have also noticed that in type 3 and 4 that have been lowered slightly all around and expecially have more than stock castor, that better contact with the rear tires is maintained during braking....less pitching forward and enertia change is happening....and therefore the rear brakes are doing a little more work than normal (which is good!). But...it means more frequent adjustments. Ray