New Squareback Owner

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
kaz

New Squareback Owner

Post by kaz »

Hi Guys,

I am the new owner of a 1970 FI Squareback and I just love it. I wanted to get some advice on getting it started. I did some research, read these forums, and went through some manuals. I did the best I could troubleshooting with limited experience but its time for some help
. Here we go
This car sat for many years after some type of mechanical issue
I have put in a new tank, new battery, new fuel lines and filters
2 injectors were seized so I ordered 2 remanufactured
I am getting spark, I saw all 4 injectors spray when throttle was depressed
the injectors are clicking when I hit the throttle and when its turning over
I took the dizzy out and cleaned the areas recommened by you guys
I checked all wiring for breaks and ground, car does run on starting fluid
I did what I believe to be a correct static timing and the firing order looked correct, I ordered a new tranny ground (this one is tough looking) but has not arrived yet, I believe there to be a short, every time I turn the key on it shorts a fuse (I am unsure of which one and not near the car) the pump does not prime when key is on but runs when I turn it over and then a few seconds after. I grounded the wire in the engine compartment and the pump runs countinously (the wire you are suppose to ground to test it)
On a side note the car had a push button (starter type button) to the left of the steering wheel. Wires were unattached but long enough to reach the motor. Unsure if this was a bandaid to a bigger prob
After the 2 new injectors the car starts to sputter like it wants to start for a second and then just turns over.

I hope I have not gone on too much but I wanted to paint a clear picture.
I only have a test light and a voltage meter and its hard to follow some of the testing (ohms) advice when I don't know much about electrical but I will do my best

Thanks for listening, and also thanks for all the great posts you guys take the time to put up that have helped me get this far. You guys are awesome!
Rodney
kaz

Post by kaz »

Hello,

Well some guys from the local vw club came over and saw that the fuel pump was for a carb'd model.
Now on the lookout for a fuel pump.
Let me know if any of you guys and gals have one for sale.

Thanks,
Rodney
Air_Cooled_Nut

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

http://www.vwtype3.org/ has a free email list you can subscribe to. I highly recommend it, it's the #1 source of Type 3 info you can get. Period.

There's good info on this website, like transaxles and fuel injection, but for general stuff www.thesamba.com has a more active T3 forum.

Congrats!
'72 VW Squareback w/Berg 5-speed and ragtop
'76 VW Riviera Bus
'95 VW Jetta, Peloquin'd, CHE tranny, nicely modded
'81 Honda Goldwing, naked
'06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (monoposto)
Air_Cooled_Nut

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

BTW, letting people know where you are can help. You never know if there's experienced help nearby, which is always a plus in saving time, money, and frustration. And there are more T3 enthusiasts out there than most think ;)
'72 VW Squareback w/Berg 5-speed and ragtop
'76 VW Riviera Bus
'95 VW Jetta, Peloquin'd, CHE tranny, nicely modded
'81 Honda Goldwing, naked
'06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (monoposto)
vwfreek

Post by vwfreek »

If you can't find a type 3 fuel pump one from a fuel injected bus or bug will work to get you started. It only has an inlet and outlet hose, so you would have to plug up the return hose. Although if you have a fuel pump for a carb, the return hose might already be closed off.
hermit

Post by hermit »

The push button starter switch may be an indicator of a bad electrical circuit in the ignition switch. It may have been installed to replace the starter circuit in the switch. Just a thought, or maybe a horn switch or electric windshield washer switch. Good Luck!
kaz

Post by kaz »

Thanks for the advice.

Once I get the new fuel pump I will post an update.

Have a good one,

Rodney
kaz

Post by kaz »

Hi guys,

I put in a fuel pump I got from ebay. And wouldn't you know it fired right
up and sounded great. As I read the forums Ray and the guys said test the pressure but since I saw the gas coming from the injectors I just assumed........
Anyway, it was nice that the guys from the local club came and helped me out.
Looking forward to taking a cruise down the road. Now that it runs I can start with the basic maintencance.
I will get some pics up and thanks again for the info.

Rodney