So am I turning the engine by hand?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
RodneyW

So am I turning the engine by hand?

Post by RodneyW »

So I am trying to get the engine running on my lot find Fastback that has been sitting for 7+ years. Gas tank out of the car (cleaned out and sealer curing). Spark plugs pulled. Fresh air bellows has been taken off. Many-years-old oil drained and refilled.

I popped the cover to access the generator. I used by 21mm cresent wrench. It very easily turned about a quarter turn in either direction. The belt moved with it as did the fan. That was a gentle test turn. I heard no crunching, breaking, smashing, or krinkling of any kind. It smoothly glided back and forth.

First question: am I turning the engine? This went way too easily. I'm convinced disaster must follow.

Second question: when I apply the cresent wrench again for more than just a quarter turn, clockwise or counter-clockwise? As recommended in other posts, Marvel Miracle Oil will go into the spark plug holes before the next adventure.

Finally, seems like a no-brainer to replace the belt once I have access to the fan housing. Any specific tips?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Marc

Post by Marc »

If the fan's turning, the crankshaft is too. Did you stop at ¼ turn because of resistance felt, or just out of caution? With the plugs out you shouldn't feel much change in resistance as the crank rotates a full 360° - if you do it's probably due to rusty cylinder walls and/or cylinder head deposits that've fallen off and are preventing the piston(s) from making it past TDC.
It takes a slim wrench to hold the generator pulley from turning as you loosen the nut to separate the pulley halves. If you can't come up with the right tool for the job, it's a pretty simple matter to remove the strap and shift the generator forward and out of the shroud for easier access.
RodneyW

Post by RodneyW »

Thank you for responding.

I stopped after a quarter turn over a sense of caution ... is clockwise or counterclockwise right? I expected tremendous resistance when I tried to turn it even a little and was shocked that it glided smoothly for the quarter turn i gave it.

The Haynes manual has a photo of how one uses two 'spanners' to loosen the generator pulley nut. Very obviously skinnier wrenches than my Craftsmans.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The normal direction of rotation is clockwise, but you will do no harm by turning it the other way (that's a concern when attempting to rotate an OHC motor by the camshaft, where it can put undue strain on the tensioner and possibly damage the "cogs" on a the cam belt and/or cause them to skip teeth and change the valve timing if you turn it forwards - but no such worry on your Type III).
But never turn over an aircooled VW motor - in either direction - if there's no distributor installed...the distributor drive pinion gear could climb up out of mesh with the brass worm gear on the crankshaft and wreck it.
RodneyW

Post by RodneyW »

Thanks again for the reply.

Distributor is in. Appeciate the word of caution. I think I have it under control ... for now.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Turning the crank the other way also turns the oil pump the other way.
What are all these extra parts?
hermit

Post by hermit »

Don't forget the FUEL LINES! As well as a new filter. Also new fuel line clamps. Complete tune-up.Replace all soft brake lines. Clean metal brake lines. Clean and repack wheel bearings, check brake linings, pads and tires for dry rot. Check cv boots, replace if torn, repack cv joints. Enjoy your first ride! Good Luck!