Should I tint the windows on my variant?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
owendub

Should I tint the windows on my variant?

Post by owendub »

Well, what do you guys think? '68 square in pearl white with early panels. Lowered slightly. Not perfect but not ratty.

Anyone got any pictures of variants with tinted windows??
vujade

Post by vujade »

[/img]
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

I have been working around this for a while. I have a 412. Not quite a type 3 (better :D )...but a lot of the same aesthetics.

A couple of issues. I won't beat on the issues of too dark or blacked out glass. They are personnal choices. I personally can't see through too dark glass at night...enough to not make mistakes in the level of traffic at night around here. Its a risk to my car.
But....I think tinting looks great. Problem is that in the heat we have here the tinting will bubble in about two years...no matter who's or what.
My worry is that I cannot risk tint over a one of a kind rear defroster.
I also need the tint to protect the interior.

I have also been looking at tint....that compliments the paint color. My 412 is going to be the stock L-96m Marathon. A kind of pearly silver blue.
Also....correct installation of tinting film requires it tobe trimmed back 1/16" (at best) and 1/8 by mfg standards ...from the window rubber. Then using 3M edge sealer etc. This is to keep chafing from seals from peeling the film up. But...this also shortens the life as the edge sealer always starts to fail.

SO....I have been researching "types" of tint. One type that I have come upon is the architectural "outdor" tints. They come in a very large variety of colors with specific light transmission levels and full UV protection....and...they are thicker....and they are specifically designed to be applied to the outside of the glass....not the inside . They can lap under the gaskets. They last many years. They are also quite expensive. Its worth looking into. It shoudl not be that hard to get acolored tint that is...say left over...from tinting glass panels on an office bldg. Ray
Air_Cooled_Nut

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

I agree w/Ray, tinting looks good when done right. I tinted my windows and they didn't bubble up over the years but Oregon doesn't get the heat like Texas does (thank goodness!) :wink: I've since taken all the tint off except for the rear glass and it's still fine after all these years (at least 11).
'72 VW Squareback w/Berg 5-speed and ragtop
'76 VW Riviera Bus
'95 VW Jetta, Peloquin'd, CHE tranny, nicely modded
'81 Honda Goldwing, naked
'06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (monoposto)
owendub

Post by owendub »

Looks cool alright!