Thinking about buying a 67 Square back

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
schmleff

Thinking about buying a 67 Square back

Post by schmleff »

I would really rather have a bug at first glance, but can someone tell me why I should buy it? I have never owned a vw car but have plenty of vw engine experience (in aircraft).

I would want to make it fast of course, but where do you put the carbs? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't even know what the engine compartment looks like. I just saw that it is under the rear panel.
schmleff

Post by schmleff »

Well, I got a whopping 11 views and no replies. Either my question was silly or this answers my question. A squareback is not a popular car.
Air_Cooled_Nut

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

They are becoming more popular. Personally, I hope they don't become popular because there weren't many made compared to Bugs plus it would drive up the prices ;)

The Type 3 was the upgrade, the better and more comfortable car from the VW lineup. If you really want a Type 3 then subscribe to the free email list at http://www.vwtype3.org Buy the Bentley shop manual, too, as it's a necessary tool for stock and custom cars. Learn how to work on the stock car before jumping in on a custom because it becomes a whole new ball game ;)
'72 VW Squareback w/Berg 5-speed and ragtop
'76 VW Riviera Bus
'95 VW Jetta, Peloquin'd, CHE tranny, nicely modded
'81 Honda Goldwing, naked
'06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (monoposto)
Air_Cooled_Nut

Re: Thinking about buying a 67 Square back

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

schmleff wrote:I would really rather have a bug at first glance, but can someone tell me why I should buy it?
Are you serious? You're asking others if you should buy a particular car...and in a forum dedicated to the model... :lol: :roll: :lol:

With older cars you get them because you "get them". You have a connection. It's really an emotional reason.

Buy the ubiquitous Bug. That was your connection because it certainly wasn't with the Squareback.
'72 VW Squareback w/Berg 5-speed and ragtop
'76 VW Riviera Bus
'95 VW Jetta, Peloquin'd, CHE tranny, nicely modded
'81 Honda Goldwing, naked
'06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (monoposto)
owendub

Post by owendub »

Bugs are SOOOO last year... Type 3's rule.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Type 3's are sooooo last week....type 4's rule... 8) Ray
hermit

Type 3's RULE!

Post by hermit »

Or as Tram would say a type 3 is a VW with the bugs worked out. Have owned and driven type 3 and type 2 and type 4 VW's since 1973. That makes me prejudiced. After you spend some miles in a 3 or 4 you'll never go back to a beetle. Good Luck! Above all Have Fun!
Ribz

Post by Ribz »

i just traded my 62 baja for a 69 square, i like it alot and my wife loves it ...its a POS on top of it all (with very very little rust)

Mike