Using auto-trans case in 4spd car -- any surprises?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
SureFit Travis

Using auto-trans case in 4spd car -- any surprises?

Post by SureFit Travis »

Hey folks,

My '68 fastback has a subtle knock in the engine, so I want to take it out of the car and tear it down. I have another type-3 longblock in my garage that I can put into the car in the meantime, but it's a case for an automatic car, and still has the flex plate on it.

Are there any surprises or challenges I am going to encounter trying to fit this engine into the car? How about converting the flex plate to a flywheel -- any tips to share there?

Thanks!

Travis
Marc

Post by Marc »

Just be sure to check/set the crankshaft endplay as you would replacing any flywheel. Automatics rarely have a problem with the thrust bearing working loose in the case (since it never has to deal with the pressure exerted by clutch pedal application) but to be on the safe side be sure to check that the bearing is snug in the case by having an assistant clunk the crank back & forth while you observe/feel for any relative motion between the bearing flange and the case.

I can't recall if `71-up Type III cases got the same pressed-in threaded insert for the LH upper trans-to-engine bolt as Type Is did - if you have one of those it can either be removed (and a washer used under the nut to cover the resultant large hole) or you can chisel/grind the nibs off the trans case which keep the early D-headed bolt from spinning to allow socket clearance to use a hex-head bolt there.