front storage hood cable broken

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
bumer4

front storage hood cable broken

Post by bumer4 »

We have recently bought a 70 squareback, no nothing about it, but are excited to learn. Discovered the front storage cable is broken. Any ideas on how to get the hood open to replace the cable? It looks like we have to take the car apart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

On the bug you just cut the handle in half and unscrew the latch. But on a T-3 like the Thing has no external handle to cut. if the latch cable goes south I have often wondered how the hood is released. On the Thing the hinge screws are on the outside so you can actually remove the hinges and get to the latch to release it. I would like to hear how a T-3 is opened. I am sure that this is not the first time this has happen to aT-3. There must be a solution.
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

Try pushing down on the hood near the latch. The way the latch is designed, if the strain is taken off it the latch moves to "failsafe" postion. At least that's the theory and if the latch moves freely.

good luck
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Thanks for the tip. I have removed more than one Thing hood to get the latch released. But always wondered about the T-3. I love fixing things and having answers to issues. Pure knowledge is the ability to help others with no intension of personal gain. IMHO
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

So obviously it is broken on the inside trunk end? If its broken under thedash...simply grasp the cable with vice grips.
I had this problem before.....I think....On some models you can remove the bottom boot area under the spare from the outside with a little prying. You might even be able to get a small access by removing the right headlight. If you are lucky, you can hook a wire inside to pull the latch. Ray
LesTroyer

Post by LesTroyer »

A guy on samba reported he took the bumpers off & went in thru the crash bar hole, then unbolted the shift rod cover, then used a long screwdriver to trip the latch. But Tom suggestion of just pushing down on the hood often works.