Squareback C Pillar

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Multi69s

Squareback C Pillar

Post by Multi69s »

Does anyone have a picture of the C pillar on a squareback that has popouts (no upholstery). What I am looking for is one that shows how the popout latch mounts to the pillar (mechanism). I have 3 large holes (approx. 1/4" in diameter) and I was wondering if the factory used a nut plate or what?

It is for my 73. I am fabbing some parts to make it work. For the front I am removing the hooks and making adapters to use the bug style hinge. For the back I am thinking about using nut-zerts and fabbing a nut plate for reinforcement. I was just hoping for a picture, because I hate to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks
vdubin

Post by vdubin »

sorry, no pic. But my 69 has the popout latches screwed directly into the c pillar. The latch is a triangular piece with 3 screws.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

If you look closely under the headliner material, most fastbacks I have seen already have holes threaded into the body for this purpose.....even when they came with normal windows. For sure I have seen many 69,70 and a few 71 with these holes. Ray
GjMan

Post by GjMan »

I converted a 71 to pop-outs, and the C pillar was already drilled for the screws. Correct holes may have been discontinued by 73, however. IIRC those are sheet metal screws, so it may be necessary to weld or rivet a sheet metal plate to the pillar and then drill for the screws if the existing holes are too big.