Rear camber questions

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
mondshine

Rear camber questions

Post by mondshine »

Greetings-
I just picked up a '71 square with auto trans. The car seems to have excessive negative camber at the rear. Raising the body (to let the suspension "hang") does not seem to change the camber angle angle. There is no evidence of damage or distortion on any suspension components. I intend to replace the shocks and cv boots, so I'll be halfway to torsion bar land if it's worth the trip. Does raising the rear of an IRS car change camber angle? What other factors (bushings, spring plate to diagonal arm location, etc.) have an effect on rear camber?
Thanks, Gary
vdubin

Post by vdubin »

what is the ride height when at rest on the ground? It sound like you are the recipient of a lowered T3 or you have a twisted torsion bar.
mondshine

Post by mondshine »

I did pull the torsion bars and found that the rubber bushings were ovaled out to the point that the torsion housing was practically resting on the bars. I have 4 new bushings and time will tell when I put it back together,

This car is pretty much un-molested except for a careless front fender replacement and I have no reason to believe the torsion bushings I removed were not original to the car. I plan to use the standard spring plate angle when I re-assemble.
Thanks, Mondshine
GjMan

Post by GjMan »

Rear camber is not adjustable. When ride height is set to factory specs, camber should be correct. Even on IRS, changing ride height will change camber somewhat.