Bart G Question

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
Chuck

Bart G Question

Post by Chuck »

Bart G where did you buy your EGT sensors and what are the readings on the multimeter that correspond to what temp? I would like to use an EGT to set up timing on a car I am putting SDS on.
Also what is the deal with you saying that SDS is very limited. If you are gonna call something limited then I would direct that at CB's junk they have not way to change parameters. SDS is just as tunable as any system with the exception of a few options that the overpriced guys use that are of no use on a street car anyways. Why waste your money on some off the wall option. There are quite a few cars that have broken numerous records using the SDS system. Just remember the more people that buy SDS the better because then the high priced guys need to lower their costs to keep up and the guy that wins will be the consumer.
Steve Arndt

Bart G Question

Post by Steve Arndt »

I have no EG probe info.

As far as programmable ECUs go, SDS is very limited. Maybe it should have been worded that way. It isn't fair to compare CB's modified Geo ecu to something programmable.

Haltech is quite affordable when you look at the features it has. It can handle sequential injection, data logging, has far more switched and PWM outputs, all for the same price retail as the EM3-F system.

I am not dissing either system so don't take it that way. They all have a place. The SDS has fewer stumbling blocks for a beginner to get through. Just getting the COM port on some old laptops to work can take hours Image

Steven

[This message has been edited by Steve Arndt (edited 03-20-2001).]
Veepster

Bart G Question

Post by Veepster »

hey Chuck...Check out Westach.com they sell what you need, the literature that comes with the EGT probe will tell you about the MV output and what temp it corresponds to....

also.... I am quite sure you are not as obnoxious as you come across, so you may want to rephrase some of your opinions, so they do not come across as flames.

I will take Steves advice and rephrase, SDS is limited as far as programmable ECU's go...........and the CB system is even less Programmable!!!(Steve, I thought it was a Sunbird ECU they were tweaking?).........But I have friends that LOVE the CB system...and for their knowledge of mechanics it was a PERFECT choice.........you have to remember, they all just fire injectors....there is no better way to fire an injector...

reread my posts....I will say it again..I LOVE MY SDS SYSTEM!!!!!!!

BUT....if someone came to me and said they wanted to run the drags and they were going for a world record, the SDS would not be the system that I would suggest....I would suggest a MOTEC, or if you were going road racing on the very serious level.....I would also suggest a MOTEC......but for someone who wants to buy a great fuel injection system and really does not want to get SERIOUSLY into the tuning end of it....then the SDS is the way to go!!!...Bang for the Buck nothing beats an SDS.......

the one limitation of the SDS is its lack of memory.... you can not swap entire fuel curves and ignition curves and there is no playback.....and I would love to be able to run my NOS off the ECU too.

to sum up.....you must use the right tool for the job......and if a CB system is the best tool for the job... so be it. If an SDS system is the best for the job...COOL!!!.I want everyone to buy what they WANT and NEED, not what I have....because we most likely have different needs....

and Please lets not taint this board with any flames.....this is the best board I have found in a looong time, lets keep it that way and all learn from each other.....

Peace.............BartG
Steve Arndt

Bart G Question

Post by Steve Arndt »

Good words Bart.

You are probably right about it being a Sunbird ECU. It was second hand, like a bird, that told me it was a Geo Metro ECU. Hey, Geo=Chevy, Pontiac=Chevy, maybe we are both right? Image Or maybe we are both wrong. lol.

Anyway, I'm glad the forum is taking off.

Turbo6bar and I are trying to work out a bit of design for bolt onto IDF end tanks which tie into a section throttle body for an Eaton M45 blower on T4 setup. Lets keep the brains churning Image
Tom Notch

Bart G Question

Post by Tom Notch »

Bart, you da man! Very well put and along the lines I have been trying to get across for a couple of years. What I use works for me but I won't recommend it to anyone until they are educated on several aspects of EFI. Then they can make an educated decision based on what their needs are. No blanket statements from me saying this brand is "THE BEST, Period". I am always open for enlightenment on new and neat stuff. Heck, I may change my spots someday.

Now lets learn about all types of efi and the many varied ways of going up the mountain!!!

------------------
Tom Notch
Tom's Old VW Home
Steve Arndt

Bart G Question

Post by Steve Arndt »

On the lines of Tom's closing statement, I can recommend that everyone here subscribe to the Haltech mailing list for a week. If you don't like it, unsubscribe. The list content relates 75% of the time to ALL programmable EFI systems. Information on how to tune, what to do, symptoms, tips, install ideas, experiences, retailers for efi stuff, it is all discussed. Most is over my head because those guys are able to meet IM-240 E tests with their PEFI and make 200% more power than stock often times. That is where its at.
Steve Arndt
Chuck

Bart G Question

Post by Chuck »

Bart G and everyone. I agree that there is definitly better Fuel injection out there and if you are looking for that edge then in racing it's there. I believe that Motec is a much better system but it is way expensive. Haltech is good but you need a computer. I was just saying that guys just looking to upgrade to FI that SDS is a very good choice and it is well built and a good deal for the price.