CB Crank Trigger Timing

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
bugblanc

CB Crank Trigger Timing

Post by bugblanc »

Can anyone tell or show me the actual crank trigger timing for the CB Trigger Wheel and Sensor?

It looks like the sensor is about 20deg after TDC and the missing tooth is about 70deg after TDC so 90deg after the Sensor.

Do they use the leading edge, centre or trailing edge of the tooth?
Jadewombat

Re: CB Crank Trigger Timing

Post by Jadewombat »

Dunno, but are you using it with the CB system or something else?
bugblanc

Post by bugblanc »

Jadewombat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 pm Dunno, but are you using it with the CB system or something else?
Useing Emerald but with CB trigger wheel / sensor mount which will be with me in a few weeks. Was just wonddering so I could get a missing tooth position for the initial map.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Well, you could contact CB (call them) but unless something over there changed dramatically in the last couple of years my experience with them has been that they don't stand behind their products and won't answer your questions. "Just buy it, what's the problem," has been their shitty attitude for a long, long time.
bugblanc

Post by bugblanc »

Jadewombat wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:51 am Well, you could contact CB (call them) but unless something over there changed dramatically in the last couple of years my experience with them has been that they don't stand behind their products and won't answer your questions. "Just buy it, what's the problem," has been their shitty attitude for a long, long time.
Yup I have asked them and got an answer straight away. Unfortunately their answer is a bit vague as in counting teeth rather than just telling me where in degrees and where on the tooth / gap.

Seems like I’m not going to get an asnwer so I guess I’ll just have to wait for it to arrive and work it out myself. Shame though I’d like the initial map to right this week.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I would say the crank trigger angle would be ECU specific.
Your ECU is going to expect the missing tooth xx degrees before TDC in order to process the spark demand for the correct advance and/or retard.

In my settings with MS-2 Ver. 3.0 my offset is 78 degrees.

So what you would do is get it close.....lock the timing in software and then put the timing light on the pulley and correct the adjustable offset in the software until your pulley timing matches the timing in your tuning software.
In order to get it close you would check the documentation for your ECU and find out how much lead the missing tooth needs ahead of TDC.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
bugblanc

Post by bugblanc »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm I would say the crank trigger angle would be ECU specific.
With Emerald you tell it where the missing tooth is. They will ship an ECU with a base map if you want so all I am trying to do is tell them what to input.

They have lots of maps for flat 4 and they know Jenvey very well so with my set up and state of tune I hope it might fire up with this base map so at least get me ahead. In the first instance I don’t want to spend too much time fiddling if I can avoid it because it needs a cam burn and then heads off to put the second springs in. Then I can fiddle 😉
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

bugblanc wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:57 am Can anyone tell or show me the actual crank trigger timing for the CB Trigger Wheel and Sensor?

It looks like the sensor is about 20deg after TDC and the missing tooth is about 70deg after TDC so 90deg after the Sensor.

Do they use the leading edge, centre or trailing edge of the tooth?
I didn't read through the entire thread but I know when I send a pulley to them I have to use a 70° #1 tooth angle instead of the standard 80°tooth angle that most other EFI systems use. Aslo worth noting is that when I sell a MagnaSpark crank trigger with my trigger wheel setup I need to reverse the sensor polarity.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Compositecrafters

Post by Compositecrafters »

I’m running a Bergmann shroud with there 5” crank pulley and a Dub Shop crank trigger. Running a CB Gen 4 or I should say barley running and it’s been a headache trying to get the timing correct. Nothing but problems, tried matching CB’s 8 tooth count from sensor location and pulley at TDC. My CB cam sync setup will not work 8 tooth counter clockwise.
Compositecrafters

Post by Compositecrafters »

Study the CB Performance pictures for there Crank trigger setup is your best bet. Picture worth a thousand words so look hard. As far as getting it to work, schedule time to call them when you can be right next to the engine.
bugblanc

Post by bugblanc »

Thanks Compositecrafters

I solved the installation problems I had with the trigger wheel and got rid of the excess weight but the engine won't get built until after the summer now.

With the Emerald ECU I can set the timing to the trigger wheel and then tune from there. Initially I will need to run it very soft to burn the cam then strip the heads to fit the inner valve springs. Once all that is done it will be parked before the car is ready for the RR and that won't be for a long time yet :roll: