Converting to EFI

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
n0obster

Converting to EFI

Post by n0obster »

Hello.

I am really sold to converting my beetle to EFI. But, hey it's classic. I'm no purist, but what are your thoughts? Should I do it?

What I currently have is a 1915 short-block engine with Engle 120 and planning to put Tims Stage 1 Plus with 1.25:1 SCAT rocker. Should there be changes to the engine once I go EFI then turbo after a couple of years?

Which throttle body do you suggest should I get?
Which system should I use?
Should I go with MegaSquirt 2, 3, or the 3X?

In addition, in the image below,

Aside from the MegaSquirt, DB9 Cable, DB37 cable and the Relay Board, I'll be buying. Should I also buy the Stimulator considering this is my first EFI build? Lastly, what powers, sensors, and actuators needed in an air cooled VW beetle? I would really appreciate if you could post links.
Clonebug

Re: Converting to EFI

Post by Clonebug »

If you go turbo you should be able to go a single TB between 45 and 50 mm in diameter.

I don't know if the above would work well NA..........

I have a 1679 with the stock German FI TB and it works great for me. I'm running turbo though.

If you build your own ECU you should have a stim but I have had Mario do my ECU's and I don't have one.

As far as sensors go you need.

IAT
CLT for warmup
TPS for throttle
MAP on the ECU
IAC if you want cold start.... I don't use one and have very little trouble with warmup.
You should have an O2 sensor and controller too......I recommend a PLX.

I use the relay board and like it because it makes hookup pretty easy.

All my terminal connectors are in use now.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
n0obster

Post by n0obster »

Can I use any TB?
Clonebug wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 pmAs far as sensors go you need.

IAT
CLT for warmup
TPS for throttle
MAP on the ECU
IAC if you want cold start.... I don't use one and have very little trouble with warmup.
You should have an O2 sensor and controller too......I recommend a PLX.
Where did you install your O2 sensor? Did you use only one module? Which brand of sensors did you use? Can you link 'em here?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The TPS is from a BMW 850 if I remember correctly.
IAT is a GM sensor
CLT is a GM sensor but modified by Mario.

I get my sensors from Mario along with most of the wiring harness just because it works sooooo nice......

My O2 sensor is a PLX brand mounted right after the turbo.
I use the PLX with Multigauge.

You can read my build for details if you want.

Look in the "Forced Induction Forum" for Safari FI Turbo build.

FI section starts on page 40.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
n0obster

Post by n0obster »

Got it, thank you.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

I can second Mario's products. I ordered his wiring harness which makes connecting to the relay a breeze and he provides wires for all the sensors. If you want to make your own he has a diagram for wiring the relay for each sensor. Check out www.thedubshop.net before you purchase anything. He has everything you'll need for efi
petew

Post by petew »

I'll add a third recommendation of Mario to that. He sells good kits at good prices and has good customer support. If I was in conUS I'd be buying from him.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I do what I can to get everyone started on the right foot when going EFI. It's a big leap but there are plenty of people willing to lend an ear.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store