Distributor timing problem

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
1971 vw van

Distributor timing problem

Post by 1971 vw van »

Hello,
I Have a 1973 Super Beetle purchased it last year. The motor is a 1600 duel port with an RV cam, no spacifics on the cam, i have the newer 009 type distributor with the Vacuum & mechanical advance. if i set the timing at 7.5 degrees it runs horrible, carb coughs and wont hardley excelerate, the more i advance it the better its running, What would be the best timing mark for it? Or could it be a vacume leek at the carburator somewhere? I squrted WD40
around the carb and could not find a leek. Any Thoughts Or advice would help.
Thank You.
dustrat

Re: Distributor timing problem

Post by dustrat »

009 Distributor does not have vacuum advance only mechanical advance. Check on side of distributor for number and come back on forum for more info on timing.
Robert
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Max timing should be 30 at 3000 rpm. Whatever degree it ends up at idle is usually ok. And yes, 009 is mechanical advance only, no vacuum canister. Now I used to have to smog my car, I ran an 009 but mocked up a vacuum canister to pass smog only, check and make sure what the numbers are on the side of the distributor.

Post by mlrailguy »

Just got my 2332 finished. Running the FK8 cam. At 1000 rpm, which is where it idles best, it showing 38* BTDC. This is the Pertronix Flamethrower dizzy with the light tension springs installed. I haven't even revved it up yet, just doing breakin.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Where it "idles best" is not always the best for performance when setting timing.... As distribuitor advances it takes you out another 20-30 degrees into no mans land.... Its all about where timing is set at normal driving rpm up around 3000 rpm give or take 1000 rpm....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"