Question for Tuner Studio Shadow Dash users

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
aircooledtechguy

Question for Tuner Studio Shadow Dash users

Post by aircooledtechguy »

So I'm brain storming for my next build which will be a serious race car (w/ blinkers/headlights/license plate) and I'm interested in doing an electronic dash. There are ready-made dashes you can purchase like this: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... ecID=12626, but I'm not really impressed with the features and size for the price you pay. Also if I'm going to be using Megasquirt, I'm thinking about just using Shadow Dash, but using it as my full-time dash. My plan would be to buy a tablet like a Galaxy Tab or some such and permanently mount it in the car behind a custom dash. So the questions:

Do any of you use Shadow Dash as your full time dash board?
-If so, how do you like it?
-Do you have to wait for it to boot and open the app every time? (that is one advantage to the dash linked above)

Can it be linked to GPS for MPH indications or do these tablets already have that capability? (I've never owned one)

There are apps for track maps and lap timing, so the above dash seems pretty out-dated anyway.
Clonebug

Re: Question for Tuner Studio Shadow Dash users

Post by Clonebug »

I have used MSDroid for an Android powered tablet.
I have an Asus T100 Tablet which is probably 4-5 yrs old now.

It does a pretty good job of logging with a Bluetooth hookup and does have a GPS in it.
It would log mph and an actual map of the log traveled.

What I didn't like was it did not have all the tuning features of TS and it was really hard to see in an open buggy.

They were supposed to be upgrading MSDroid but there was not any movement after MSDroid Pro came out which cost like $10.00.

I gave up and bought a cheap Lenovo Laptop for $259.00 and haven't looked back. It does Bluetooth but no GPS.

Tunerstudio I think now has GPS capability but you would need to find a small laptop that is GPS enabled.

I'm sure there is something out there that will do what you want. It just might not be cheap......... :wink:

I know that you can get a GPS and hook it into TS through DIY and I thought about getting one but I have enough crap installed in my buggy already........
:oops: :roll:

aircooledtechguy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 am So I'm brain storming for my next build which will be a serious race car (w/ blinkers/headlights/license plate) and I'm interested in doing an electronic dash. There are ready-made dashes you can purchase like this: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... ecID=12626, but I'm not really impressed with the features and size for the price you pay. Also if I'm going to be using Megasquirt, I'm thinking about just using Shadow Dash, but using it as my full-time dash. My plan would be to buy a tablet like a Galaxy Tab or some such and permanently mount it in the car behind a custom dash. So the questions:

Do any of you use Shadow Dash as your full time dash board?
-If so, how do you like it?
-Do you have to wait for it to boot and open the app every time? (that is one advantage to the dash linked above)

Can it be linked to GPS for MPH indications or do these tablets already have that capability? (I've never owned one)

There are apps for track maps and lap timing, so the above dash seems pretty out-dated anyway.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
aircooledtechguy

I don't really plan to do any tuning through the tablet so that's no big deal, only data logging when I think of it. I have a laptop for tuning when that needs tweaking. I really just intend to use it as a dash board array (the only dash in the car if I can).

The glare was a concern of mine as well. I was thinking it could be minimized with an anti-glare shield and a decent sized visor over the top. I think it would be worth a try at least. It would eliminate almost all wiring and would be WAY cheaper than the $2.5K CANBUS systems out there that have limited features.
Clonebug wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:57 pm I have used MSDroid for an Android powered tablet.
I have an Asus T100 Tablet which is probably 4-5 yrs old now.

It does a pretty good job of logging with a Bluetooth hookup and does have a GPS in it.
It would log mph and an actual map of the log traveled.

What I didn't like was it did not have all the tuning features of TS and it was really hard to see in an open buggy.

They were supposed to be upgrading MSDroid but there was not any movement after MSDroid Pro came out which cost like $10.00.

I gave up and bought a cheap Lenovo Laptop for $259.00 and haven't looked back. It does Bluetooth but no GPS.

Tunerstudio I think now has GPS capability but you would need to find a small laptop that is GPS enabled.

I'm sure there is something out there that will do what you want. It just might not be cheap......... :wink:

I know that you can get a GPS and hook it into TS through DIY and I thought about getting one but I have enough crap installed in my buggy already........
:oops: :roll:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Use an Android phone as a dash.......Everyone should have one of those........ :roll: :lol: 8)

You might be able to use an old one that is not activated and just use the bluetooth from that......it would be a pretty small screen and I know how old you are getting........ :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

You just need to do a raspberry pi dash. It's a linux computer but it will run tunerstudio in the fullscreen. Make your own cluster.

http://brianesser.com/raspberry-pi-dash-wiki-updated/
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There are also much higher performance units out now in the Pi3 form factor with 2x the memory and cores.
(several recently released) They will work with all the same screens/hardware, and are still reasonably priced.

Wifi comms is an option with those, much higher throughput than BT.

For MPH, you'd probably be better off with a VSS and let the ECU figure it out for you.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

They are gaining popularity if you don't want to do a Racepac or similar.

Here is another place - http://pidash.webs.com/buy-now
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

..Also don't discount the power/price win of a small Intel based tablet, most can be set up to run Linux and auto launch Tunerstudio just like a RP setup, just a whole lot faster, and probably for less $$$. Some of them have full sized USB3 ports... Android is also an option in some cases.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
aircooledtechguy

The Raspberry Pi dash is interesting. I'm going to have to look into that more. . .
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

Look in to the nextbook 8.9 from walmart. I bought mine on sale for $90 and it works awesome!it runs windows so you can install tunerstudio.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-Fle ... 0/46664254