help getting going on an efi set up 10 years old lol

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
gin23deluxe

help getting going on an efi set up 10 years old lol

Post by gin23deluxe »

Looking for practical help from experienced people who have done a full efi conversion based on mega squirt using alternative itbs that fit GSXR near to an Idf manifold or alternatively mexi bug efi.
I have a 1776 which was run on efi using mega squirt, but the engine was raped or all the mega squirt stuff, ecu and loom kept for another project, it was a home made efi set up which was ugly, lol.
IT RAN mS2 I think, it had a center mount Renault megaine throttle body with filter an guessing maf sensor, going to home made plenums one each side sat on top of CB perf injection t/p manifolds, crank trigger, think it was running edis 4 on 4 coil pack, also had a lamba sensor in the muffler manifold. He claimed it ran well burt was mapped rich to be on the safe side, which plug color confirms.
I need to get my head round this white mans magic, I prefer ITB' s either side, I have mega squirt ms2 ECU, relay board And a loom, which was taken from a porsche 914 track car/historic racer running 2056 type 4 running a central throttle body onto a type 4 central plenum(as much as I know)
i have CB per injection manifolds, crank trigger set up, hp pump.
I also got Mexican efi set up no ecu or loom, need help as I'm pretty green on EFI technology an some of the stuff i started on just baffles me, I have a 1641 which i was hoping to use the mexi set up and go full ITBs on the 1776 converting it to go into my early beetle, as life changing poop forcing me to choose between my modern car or my lovely old beetle which i need to make a reliable daily, one of em has to go, an all this poop been sat round for years.
I'm willing to pay the right person for positive results
Cheers mark
gin23deluxe

Re: help getting going on an efi set up 10 years old lol

Post by gin23deluxe »

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i really need to get motivated on it I'm in somerset UK and mega squirt experts seem to be thin on the ground down here.
Piledriver

Re: help getting going on an efi set up 10 years old lol

Post by Piledriver »

As you are in the UK, (should have location set in your profile):

One of the main MSextra developers is somewhere around Birmingham
http://www.megasquirt.co.uk/
Thats jsmcortina on msextra.

Also http://www.extraefi.co.uk/ not immediately apparent where he's at.
May just be a new website design. (Phil... one of the other msextra devs? Name rings a bell)

Mario here can set you up with a VW-specific plug and go harness etc, not sure if anyone in the UK/Europe does them regularly.
He's out of Washington state in USA.

If you are looking to go fully sequential with MS2, its possible to use the MS3X I/O board with an inexpensive adapter called the MS2Xt. This can even be fit in a std height MS2 case if you can fab new end plates.
(Info in thread on ms2extra forum, idea suggested by jmscortina)

This makes it possible to go fully sequential with zero mainboard mods (all the cut/extra connections are "built in" to the adapter, and the MS3X does most of the I/O)
Same rig will later work with MS3 daughtercard if you ever desire.
(I have gone back and forth from MS2+MS3X<>MS3_MS3X with same harness helping develop the adapter)

Buying/using a pre-made generic harness is not that bad either if you use proper crimpers and waterproof splices/crimps.
The ones from diyautotune (at least) have each wire function printed every 12" on each wire, so its hard to mess up.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.