Injector discussion

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
terryly

Injector discussion

Post by terryly »

Morning gentlemen. What I am attempting to get started is a conversation on injectors. The purpose is to be a searchable go to source for a newbe [Me] to the proficient individual. From penny pincher to the guy who will have nothing but the best of the best. I have searched and read many hours and still feel like its a bit of a gray area.

First off

Sizing -is there a good chart , formula , or app ? is there any that stand out are easy to use or are intuitive ?[ I will need to decide what is needed for a naturally aspirated lower revving 5500-6000 rpm 2180]

Fitment - Different styles size , types [ I understand I will be needing 14 mm long or short] different harness or fittings

New technology- what is out there ? are newer style injectors better ? why are they better ?

Spray pattern-what are the different patterns ?why would one use one over another ?

Sources-who has the best ? [money is no object] who has a good quality ones ? [ I am in this group] Economy [for those on a budget] CRAP who to stay away from?

Well that is all I can think of right now and need to get to work. What else should a fellow be considering when deciding on injectors
Now best to let the more informed take over.

PS-- Got up this morning and found out Paul of VW Speed Shop is finished building my new throttle bodies and serpentine crank trigger set up and will ship in the morning. That got me excited and tried to get on The dub shops site to order more goodsies but it is down for maintenance. :o So with some time on my hands and tired of reading and researching. I thought maybe this might be a use full thread to start. {or I might have my head up my arse hahaha} later Gents

Terry injectorless Lytle
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
MarioVelotta

Re: Injector discussion

Post by MarioVelotta »

Since I'm here I'll post :)
Sizing -is there a good chart , formula , or app ? is there any that stand out are easy to use or are intuitive ?[ I will need to decide what is needed for a naturally aspirated lower revving 5500-6000 rpm 2180]
I've been using this calc with good results - http://www.deatschwerks.com/resources/f ... calculator
Fitment - Different styles size , types [ I understand I will be needing 14 mm long or short] different harness or fittings
Since no 2 vehicles installs are alike there are many injector options available to fit different applications. If space isn't a concern save some money and go long and save a little coin. If you need everything tight to the motor go short (Pico). The longer ones are the same at the pintle end they just have a larger fuel capacity behind them.
New technology- what is out there ? are newer style injectors better ? why are they better ?
A picture is worth a thousand word right, and lighter is faster. So here you go. This is why EV14 are able to be controlled to such low PW's while still able to flow 100 pounds per hour. But if your not out to set records, the EV-1's get the job done just fine.
420060d1297865257-injector-dynamics-vs-peak-hold-injector_pintle_valve[1].jpg
Spray pattern-what are the different patterns ?why would one use one over another ?
Here is another picture. We want 2 or 3 for our engines. 2 depending on your intake and injector position.
atomization[1].jpg
Sources-who has the best ? [money is no object] who has a good quality ones ? [ I am in this group] Economy [for those on a budget] CRAP who to stay away from?
This is a tough one. There are many company's selling high quality stuff - Injector Dynamic, Five-O, RC Injector, DeatschWerks to name a few. Pretty much any company that gives you deadtime data and voltage offsets is good. Stay away from the $20 injectors without any information. That is the level of performance you will receive from them...

Thanks for the good luck! A shop will be a big step up for me :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store