Air Cleaner Ideas Needed....

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
luftvagon

Air Cleaner Ideas Needed....

Post by luftvagon »

I'm needing some ideas for air cleaner/filter for my Vanagon. I'm using the stock intake boot:

I used to run another intake attached into this one, and then air filter attached to it, and secured to intake runners. Overall, solid structure, except the big cone filter was chafing against the body.

So now, I am seeking for inspirations to find a foam filter that would attach directly to the vanagon intake; it would have to be a light foam type filter.

Any ideas?
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI
Steve Arndt

Re: Air Cleaner Ideas Needed....

Post by Steve Arndt »

Err, the stock one looks fine.

Tell us more.
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

The problem is, stock intake goes into AFM; I'm running uSquirt... And uSquirt is squatting in place of the stock airbox.. so..
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI)
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Gut the AFM and mount the ECU on the side of it. Its small.
(or make a "fake" AFM as an adapter, we know you can fabricate things by now)

The factory air cleaner works great, and filters are common/available and cheap, finest kind.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If you like your ring seal and cylinder bores avoid gauze filters like the plague.

Paper or oiled foam, or synthetic "paper" media (washable) if you can get one that fits..
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If you want to go down that road, some UNI filter will clamp right on the TB.
I found the urethane base will crack over time and used Plastic Welder to glue on a rubber 2" union from Home Depot to replace the filters urethane base: works MUCH better.
(That's a widened WBX plenum)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Pyle, how do your intake temps run with the filter like that?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Steve Arndt wrote:Pyle, how do your intake temps run with the filter like that?
I was originally concerned about that, but there was no issue.
Only "problem" is the air cleaner gets dirty quickly, a cold air fed box would stay clean for ages with that size filter element.
Fortunately the UNIs seem to work just as well when the outer filter is filthy.

If moving, not bad at all, within 5 degrees of ambient, I have the underside "sled" tins and made some outside air blockers for under the rocker boxes as i lack HX, so it ~all goes out the rear in motion. The engine compartment is not sealed.

Extensive idle temps can easily get past 150F on 100+ days tho...
The EMS takes care of the mix well, the MAT sensor is in the engine compartment adjacent to the air cleaner.

The factory T3 setup was better, drew cold air from the rear body air channel, I have actually been trying to figure out how to make an air box for the air cleaner to get cold air, I currently have the factory air duct hole taped over with a few layers of SS tape.

The cooling fan now draws cool air from the in body ductwork via a glassfiber/silicone fabric spring tensioned sleeve I just made, added to the intake adapter, seals also to the body, I need to post pics, cheaper and better than the T3 bellows, at least on a T4 conversion. (I only have a ~1" gap to cover)