Another microsquirt install

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
55superbeetle

Another microsquirt install

Post by 55superbeetle »

Figured I would share my latest build. This is a friends car that used to have 48 IDA's on it. It ran 12.90's with the carbs but didn't see the street as much as he liked. He is kinda over drag racing it and just wants to drive it more often, so it was decided that efi would be a good direction to go. I know getting rid of the ITB's is most likely going to loose some power but not having to deal with linkage was worth the sacrifice to him. Of course it still had to look good too.

Anyway it's running the newest mircosquirt, cb manifolds that I welded plenums too, crank trigger, subaru coil with internal ignitors, bosh idle valve, and a flex fuel sensor. I added a small fuel sump to the stock tank and put the regulator and flex fuel sensor up front so I only had to run one line to the rear. I have done a bunch of megasquirt installs but this was my first on a bug motor, kinda surprised to see how little vacuum it makes with the common plenum and fk8 cam. It had a nice little idle lope now :lol: I used the deka 600cc injectors which are physically ridiculously small, with the intent of adding a single dry shot of nitrous at the throttle body if he ever wants to make it faster.

Anyway here are the pics

juki48

Re: Another microsquirt install

Post by juki48 »

nice clean build. thumbs up on the suby coil pack, I've been happy with mine so far.
Riley

74 Ghia 2276 Turbo MSII Extra
67 Beetle in restoration
Manx Style buggy 1600 stock
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

How does the one line plumbing layout work out? Is the engine "dead headed" with no loop?
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

juki48 wrote:nice clean build. thumbs up on the suby coil pack, I've been happy with mine so far.
Yeah I have used the micro of a few subaru swaps so it made sense to use it on this motor, even used stock subaru wires.

Steve Arndt wrote:How does the one line plumbing layout work out? Is the engine "dead headed" with no loop?
Yeah just dead headed at the rails. Seems weird but most modern cars have return-less fuel systems now.

Dumb question but is there a gauge in tunerstudio that shows ethanol content? I can't seem to find one, assuming it exists.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Is your regulator referenced to MAP up front or running static P?
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

Static, it's actually just a stock type 3 regulator.
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

Also just updated to the newest firmware, it has all the e85 percentage and correction gauges in it so solved that mystery.
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

Do you have a pic of how you have the flex fuel sensor hooked up? What sensor are you using?
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
Chris181

Post by Chris181 »

I love your "swirl pot", what are the dimensions?
thx
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

Corysvdub wrote:Do you have a pic of how you have the flex fuel sensor hooked up? What sensor are you using?
I will have to get some pics, it's just plumbed in the return line. I got it off a 2000 flex fuel taurus.

Chris181 wrote:Image

I love your "swirl pot", what are the dimensions?

thx
I used a 3" tube for the sump and 5/16 tubing for the feed/return. Having everything mounted to the tank makes it easy to service and keeps it halfway simple. I have done a bunch of bugs this way, you can go way deeper with the sump if you want to. Only down fall as some of my friends have found out, is that there is no warning of low fuel. Once you're out you're out, not even a hiccup.
Chris181

Post by Chris181 »

really a nice ensemble work, clean, simple, effective .
fastback

Post by fastback »

very clean setup.
how does it run with this setup`?
mrblyoung

Post by mrblyoung »

55superbeetle wrote:
Steve Arndt wrote:How does the one line plumbing layout work out? Is the engine "dead headed" with no loop?
Yeah just dead headed at the rails. Seems weird but most modern cars have return-less fuel systems now.
Have a newbie question here. I know the principle behind the fuel systems with a return line (loop) and the dead-headed systems, but never really learned which one was better. Does the dead-head system put more load on your fuel pump if there is no return? From what I have read, in an looped system, a majority of the fuel you are pumping goes back to the tank and only a fraction is actually used by the injectors.

I just haven't seen much on dead-head systems on this forum. I like the simplicity of the design, but wasn't sure how ideal that setup was. Any information from those with greater knowledge would be cool to see.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

His system doesn't dead head the pump. It just has a very short loop up front that is regulated, with the fuel rails Tee'ed into that loop ending up at a dead end at the rails.

I'm curious how it works out and why we I haven't seen it done before.
mrblyoung

Post by mrblyoung »

Steve Arndt wrote:His system doesn't dead head the pump. It just has a very short loop up front that is regulated, with the fuel rails Tee'ed into that loop ending up at a dead end at the rails.

I'm curious how it works out and why we I haven't seen it done before.
So basically the pump bleeds off excess pressure with a small loop to the tank? In this case, would the pump basically work like it had a FPR built in? Thats really cool. Your loop is basically contained completely under the tank and then you are just running the needed/regulated pressure to your fuel rails?

Rad.