PWM Alcohol Injection Controller to Drive An Injector?

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems

Moderator: Tom Notch

risk

PWM Alcohol Injection Controller to Drive An Injector?

Post by risk » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:34 am

My MS2 is maxed out as far as I/O.. and I would like to get my intake temps down some with alcohol injection, so...

I have an older SMC Alcohol Injection Controller that uses PWM to vary the pump speed... I'm wondering if I could use it to fire a fifth injector in my intake and just tee off my fuel rail? I'm running E85 so it would pretty much be like alky injection without the pump, tank etc.

The SMC controller has two adjustable setpoints, one tells the pump to come on (low pressure) at a certain boost level, the other is max pressure at another boost level. I thought about wiring up an injector and testing it but I'm unsure if it might smoke the controller..

7679551532_0fc21c4a70_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

miniman82

Re: PWM Alcohol Injection Controller to Drive An Injector?

Post by miniman82 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:07 pm

If you're already running E85, and intercooler seems like a better way to knock some temp out of the charge but that's just me.

risk

Post by risk » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:15 pm

miniman82 wrote:If you're already running E85, and intercooler seems like a better way to knock some temp out of the charge but that's just me.
Of course it would be, and thanks for pointing out the obvious.. :roll:

But seriously.. I already have the controller, spare injectors etc, tapping into my fuel rail and adding injector bung in the intake pipe is fairly simple. Water to air intercooler would definitely be better but I don't have the cash for an intercooler, pump, tank, radiator etc and my alternator is already loaded up as it is. Just looking for something on the cheap.

gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:55 pm

I was in the Water-meth industry for years. No reason it shouldn't work, unless SMC's controller is built t oclose a ground and not run load or something - but one injector is hardly a load!

I'd do it - you've already got the pieces.
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com