$#@!

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems

Moderator: Tom Notch

MinamiKotaro

$#@!

Post by MinamiKotaro » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:56 pm

I received and installed my new fuel injectors today. It was about three times as difficult as it needed to be because I was too stubborn to remove the throttle bodies, so I had to work with almost no space and the air cleaner studs digging into my forearms.

Anyway, after I installed them and got everything put back together, I of course started the engine to see if the new injectors made any difference to my low-RPM miss problem. I smelled gas and the fuel gauge needle was moving toward "E" so fast I could watch it go.

"OH $#@!"

I quickly shut down the car and hopped out to inspect everything. Seems fuel is spewing from somewhere around #3. I hope the cause is merely that I didn't get the AN fitting tight enough. I'd hate for the hose to have developed a rip or who knows what else.

For the record, I got these injectors. They are exactly the same length as the Accel ones I was using, so no adjustments to the hold downs necessary. $155 for the set of four.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ED ... UTF8&psc=1
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57

Volky

Re: $#@!

Post by Volky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:14 am

I received and installed my new fuel injectors today. It was about three times as difficult as it needed to be because I was too stubborn to remove the throttle bodies, so I had to work with almost no space and the air cleaner studs digging into my forearms.
I know how it feels. Every time I have to take my webers (throttle bodies) out for a spark plug change or other mod I think about it. It's always a hassle and the worst part is either you #%^* up your forearms with the velocity stack or go the extra mile and take it off.

I was considering cutting the sides and buying the stainless steel plates someone sells somewhere I saw in the Internet.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.

TouringBubble

Post by TouringBubble » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:05 am

Could also be the o-ring at the rail. Working in a tight space it's easy for one to get snagged without you knowing. Good luck on a quick fix!
Follow my SCCA Rallycross build on Facebook.

Dirty '73 Beetle. 2109cc with way too much intake.
Power numbers to come.
Sponsors: Satellite Racing - Defined Performance

MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:37 am

The AN fitting was only finger tight. Guess I was tired and frustrated enough last night to overlook tightening it. On the downside, my low-rpm miss is still there. I was really hoping it was a bad injector. :?
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57

Devastator

Post by Devastator » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:43 am

Well, at least that side of the engine is clean for that upcoming compression check. :roll:
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail
2276 ACVW
MS2Extra EFI W/spark
T3 Turbo making 10 lbs boost
Burning E85

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti