Trouble with Innovate LC-1

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
Alexios

Trouble with Innovate LC-1

Post by Alexios »

Hi

I am having issues with my innovate LC-1. When I turn the ignition to on, the sensor warms up (gauge in tunerstudio is red) and the small led is flashing. After a short while, the led goes steady and the gauge in tunerstudio shows 14,7. When I start the car the gauge goes to 12,1 and stays there. If I try to restart right away it goes straigh to being locked up at 12,1. If I leave the car for a while and turn the ignition to on, the sensor warms up, the gauge shows 14,7 but locks up again if I try to start the engine. I have uploaded the firmware several times as well as free air calibrations.
The ground is wired at the fans shround at the engine. Initially I had it wired at the body. No change by moving the ground to the engine from the body.
The positive is powered by the + wire that went to the coil. At the same wire I have the powered + for the ms as well as the power for the coil pack.

Could the sharing of positive between the innovate, ms and coil pack making the sensor lockup?

Thanks

Alex
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Re: Trouble with Innovate LC-1

Post by Turbo_Manx_Maniac »

Are you using one of the analog outputs? Which one? How is it configured in the setup program? Did you use a volt meter to measure the output voltage on the analog output?

Mine was a little tricky to get setup, also verify you have tunerstudio configured correctly. I used an adjustable power supply and made sure the software was reading the voltage correctly.
I accidentally Googled my Twitter. (And I liked it)
TouringBubble

Post by TouringBubble »

With the car off the gauge should be reading closer to 20, not 14.7. Are you removing the sensor to do the calibration?
Follow my SCCA Rallycross build on Facebook.

Dirty '73 Beetle. 2109cc with way too much intake.
Power numbers to come.
Sponsors: Satellite Racing - Defined Performance
Alexios

Post by Alexios »

Brown wire from lc-1 connected to ms. I checked how the output was configured with the supplied software and everything looked ok. I will check again and report back on the actual settings.
Free air calibration is done with the sensor out of the exhaust.
I will check voltage drlm the output tommorow and report back.
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

Still doesn't make sense why it's locking up, try having the programmer for LC-1 connected and use the Innovate AFR gauge and see if that's locking up. Might be that the battery voltage drops too low when you crank the engine and it's resetting or something.

It's really important that the LC-1 is grounded at the same point the megasquirt is, any ground loop will cause you problems.

Also, make sure you have the brown wire analog channel configured properly, I think it's 0v = 10:1 AFR and 5v = 20:1 AFR. You have tunerstudio configured for and LC-1 wide band right?
TouringBubble

Post by TouringBubble »

the LC-1 reads below 10, so those numbers don't seem right. I think 0 might be 7v. Just guessing ...
Follow my SCCA Rallycross build on Facebook.

Dirty '73 Beetle. 2109cc with way too much intake.
Power numbers to come.
Sponsors: Satellite Racing - Defined Performance
Turbo_Manx_Maniac

http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm#innovate_config

Config LC-1: 0v = 7.35:1 AFR, and 5v=22.39 AFR

MS1/Extra:

With your TunerStudio project open, go to:
File > Project > Project Properties and click on the Settings tab
Under EGO O2 sensor, chose the right option (Innovate LC-1 Default) for your wideband in the drop down menu and click Ok. TunerStudio will quickly restart and take you back to the main dashboard.

Next, click on the Basic Settings tab and chose Exhaust Gas Settings. You will need to change your EGO Sensor Type to wideband. Burn the change to your MegaSquirt.

Your AFR Targets Table will open underneath the More Settings tab.

MS2/Extra:

With your TunerStudio project open, go to:
File > Project > Project Properties and click on the Settings tab
Under EGO O2 Sensor, chose the right option (Innovate LC-1 Default) for your wideband in the drop down menu and click Ok. TunerStudio will quickly restart and take you back to the main dashboard.

Next, click on the Basic Settings tab and chose EGO Controls. You will need to change your EGO Sensor Type to wideband or dual wideband as appropriate for your setup. Don't forget to burn the change to your MegaSquirt. Lastly you will need to go to the Tools menu up top and click on Calibrate AFR Table. Chose your sensor type (Innovate LC-1 Default) in the drop down menu, and click on Write to Controller. This is a one way flash, so don't be alarmed if your settings don't 'stick' in this menu after you've sent them to the controller. After the write is complete, click Close.

Your AFR Targets Table will be under Basic setup > AFR Table 1
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

I'm going through a similar failure with an LC-1 setup. Tech support at Innovate recommended I run a dedicated power and ground directly to the battery before trying anything else. You can use a relay to power it with key signal, but that relay power source should be directly to the battery, not shared with any other loads. At least for diagnostic purposes. I haven't tried it yet with my setup.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Alexios

Post by Alexios »

Thanks for all the tips. No garage time today, too nice of a day for that! Will post my settings and what i find out troubleshooting tommorow.

Alex
vw1970

Post by vw1970 »

i had so many issues with my LC-1 that i ended up ditching it. I couldn't see using something that is so picky on the way it's istalled in a car that i want to daily drive..
After a bit of research, i ended up going with a wideband box from "PLX Devices" wich turned out to be an aewsome piece! It isn't picky at all on where your grounds or powers are and works everytime. plus i they have some other really cool gauge and sensor options:)
Alexios

Post by Alexios »

We are in business!!!!

Thanks for all the pointers. This is the bit I had done wrong:
"Lastly you will need to go to the Tools menu up top and click on Calibrate AFR Table. Chose your sensor type (Innovate LC-1 Default) in the drop down menu, and click on Write to Controller. This is a one way flash, so don't be alarmed if your settings don't 'stick' in this menu after you've sent them to the controller. After the write is complete, click Close."

Thanks again!

Alex