teflon fuel lines/ aeroquip fittings- Taping IDF carbs

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
helowrench

Re: teflon fuel lines/ aeroquip fittings- Taping IDF carbs

Post by helowrench »

Pile, the stuff in aircrafty type uses also has a mandatory replacement of 10 years, last time I checked.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Piledriver wrote:To answer the earlier question:
"Self abrasion" is why SS braided brake line is typically not DOT certified, and even the encapsulated stuff that is needs regular inspection//replacement. Flexing or even vibration can//will cause the braid to eat the line inside it.

This is why when it is used in aircraft, it has adel clamps every few inches to keep it from moving at all.
(and any the bits that must flex/move needs regular inspection//replacement.)

I put 1400-1500 miles a month on my ride, no braided SS.
I have quality R9 line >10 years old, no issues.

But---anything rubber or plastic is a consumable, eventually.
That includes Teflon inside ss braid.
Pretty much all true; everything is scheduled for replacement at pre-ordained intervals’, when done correctly then there are usually less problems when you follow the specs on them (you and I don’t get to see them though; for national security reasons mostly). As I recently found out; the color (e.g., color coding) of the anodizing has a lot to do with the incidence of replacement.

Braided lines are OK for what they were designed for… exterior protection and for “showing purdy” but for everyday use… there are much better ways to go that can be less harmful you your meat grabbers when the braiding starts to frey.

Good post Pile!

Lee
davegeezzer008

Post by davegeezzer008 »

Dale M. wrote:
Piledriver wrote:
Devastator wrote:
Devastator wrote:IMHO, you should just replace your fuel lines and drive on.
Clonebug wrote:You might be better off sourcing some quality hose instead.
That's 2 votes for EASY. :wink:

Three
Make that 4....

Dale

Thanx for all your comments guys, The reason i was thinking of Teflon was because the recommended hose only lasted 5 months before i spotted it was cracked and leaking fuel.heres a pic

The hose i bought was stamped SAE30R9, It has been returned to the seller and they have given me a refund but it makes me sooo mad :evil: :evil: as my motor could have gone up in flames and i could of been in it !!. The general consensors is buy more SAE30R9 which im going to do, all ive got to do is find a seller that sells decent hose here in the UK.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I'm sure someone in Europe sells decent fuel line, EBay is not the only place to buy stuff.
(Although I confess I have bought plenty)

Worst case someone here can send you a meter or two...

All major auto parts place here sell the good stuff, even if its not on the shelf/hook out front for easy "retail" sale, they probably have a large spool of it in the back for use by shops that risk getting sued out of business if they use third world made junk and burn down someone.

Here's a "trick"---use BRAKE line for all the long runs, and just use ~150mm sections where it needs to flex or have a service loop. Put bubble flares (at least partial) on the tubing ends, use proper EFI band clamps, nev-r-leak or blow off.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
davegeezzer008

Post by davegeezzer008 »

Piledriver wrote:I'm sure someone in Europe sells decent fuel line, EBay is not the only place to buy stuff.
(Although I confess I have bought plenty)

Worst case someone here can send you a meter or two...

All major auto parts place here sell the good stuff, even if its not on the shelf/hook out front for easy "retail" sale, they probably have a large spool of it in the back for use by shops that risk getting sued out of business if they use third world made junk and burn down someone.

Here's a "trick"---use BRAKE line for all the long runs, and just use ~150mm sections where it needs to flex or have a service loop. Put bubble flares (at least partial) on the tubing ends, use proper EFI band clamps, nev-r-leak or blow off.

The pipe i bought had the SAEJ30R9 written on it but no manufactures name !!. I do always use band clamps.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I agree with the hard brake line idea as the brake lines do polish up and can be lacquer over quite well if you are after the "bling" part of the build; they look cleaner (in my opinion) and take up less room. If you want, you could go to the 37° fittings but they might require some people to buy a special flairing tool.

Hard lines are less of a problem than soft lines and require less maintence as a rule.

My two-bits on this.

Lee
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Go to a jobber that specifically does commercial hydraulic or high pressure oil lines.... The usually have quality materials that have brand names stamped into outer jacket.... Avoid no name tubing/hose at all costs, its probably CHINESE soda straws painted black and they will print anything on it you want to see....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

any examples of a efi rated hose clamp?
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

andy198712 wrote:any examples of a efi rated hose clamp?

uhhh

https://www.google.com/search?q=efi+hose+clamp

:)
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Steve Arndt wrote:
andy198712 wrote:any examples of a efi rated hose clamp?

uhhh

https://www.google.com/search?q=efi+hose+clamp

:)
i searched exactly that but it just showed fuel clamps like the ones i use already for a carb (left hand ones, right hand ones have no place on a an engine!)

just wondered if it was infact those :)
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

You want the clamps that wrap all the way around on to themselves and don't cut the hose. Vangon engines have about 6 of them easily accessible. I collect them.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I usually think of std hose clamps as "hose chewers"

Proper clamps actually cost the same has the hose chewers, just a touch harder to find.

Avoid the "made in China" ones on the "HELP!" display.

Most FLAPS can get you IDEAL brand ones in whatever size you want singly or by the box of 10.
(at least here is the US)

With EFI being more common in Europe, one would hope that is the case as well.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

yh when you buy fuel line at my local spares place even the cheap fuel line comes with proper clips ;)
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Piledriver wrote:I usually think of std hose clamps as "hose chewers"

Proper clamps actually cost the same has the hose chewers, just a touch harder to find.

Avoid the "made in China" ones on the "HELP!" display.

Most FLAPS can get you IDEAL brand ones in whatever size you want singly or by the box of 10.
(at least here is the US)

With EFI being more common in Europe, one would hope that is the case as well.
The EFI style clamps are available at places like JEGS and SUMMIT..... And other "not so cheap" (as in poor quality) parts providers....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"