Using a Tablet with TunerStudio for MS2

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
MarioVelotta

Re: Using a Tablet with TunerStudio for MS2

Post by MarioVelotta »

Complete MSQ access via bluetooth! Just no veal.

http://www.msdroid.com/
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Looks good.

Now, there is an "app" on Play that is Ubuntu linux.
It runs in a "chroot" which is sort of a filesystem jail, uses the std Android (Linux) kernel and runs alongside Android so to speak.

Find/install THAT and install tuner studio into it, make sure java and preferably rxtx-nolock are installed.
(do it through the gui or via the shell using "apt-get install java rxtx-nolock" or such)

Link rxtxLibrary.so from the rfcomm install (usually in /usr/lib/rxtx-nolock/rxtxLibrary.so) to replace the rxtxLibrary.so that ships with TS. (the TS/MLV registration files simply get copied to your home dir, usually /home/yourname/ )

/dev/rfcomm0 should be an available device, use that to connect in TS.

BT seems to be borken on the Jelly Bean Android-x86 builds, and BT but no network on the ICS builds...
JB looks awesome on a 12-13" screen, and works fine with a mouse, touchpad/touchpoint or pen.
--- It simply does not really work with BT yet.

Win8 OTOH is fully cold booting (to fully usable desktop & idle hybrid SSD/HDD) in <15 seconds on my 4-5 year old Lenovos... (X300 & X200 tablet)
I'm almost a fan of Win8, it has been working remarkably painlessly, only minor braindamage using the pen, as they inexplicably neutered the tool to set the pen up that has worked well for many years...

Install ClassicShell and you never have to involuntarily look at the silly phone interface again.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

Now if they could incorporate GPS for speed, that would be amazing!
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

It's already there!
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Latest MSDroid working well on Android-x86 4.4.2 with ftdi_sio module manually loaded.
(does not automagically load as it will on a std Linux distro. yet.)

BT not working yet, but std USB serial devices work as std Linux serial devices, and most are supported, including the FTDI (modprobe ftdi_sio) used in the MS3.

I had to copy my .ini over as I'm running MS3-pre1.3A1, no issue if you alrady have Linux loaded.

I'm running the 20130224 build from tabletsx86.org on my Lenovo X200 tablet.

I can't seem to view datalogs (screen comes up, time scrolls) but it does work with "map" view, could be malpractice on my part. (EDIT---It started working after playing one of the demo logs in the GPS map split screen view, now I suspect corrupt file from improper shutdown)

The only thing I have not been able to do is set my TPS up, keeps wandering for no obvious reason.
(not a MSDroid issue)
msdroid-day800x600.jpg
You can turn this waaaay down and it's still readable, although I'd like to change the color...
msdroid-night-800x600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Soul

Post by Soul »

Only a bit OT but I just downloaded PuppyTune (a Linux OS) to a usb flash drive and booted it using an old Dell Latitude D600 with a fried hard drive. PuppyTune is a Derivative of Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 with TunerStudio pre installed and in my limited testing it works fine.

Using Android VNC on your tablet or smart phone you could access TunerStudio to tune your MS. I know it's not the most elegant solution but it might be useful to someone.

PuppyTune can be found here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=259983
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Even the "lite" version of TS is still a far better tuning solution vs msDroid (for now).

But for logging and basic log perusal, msDroid now works just peachy.
(using it on my HTC Hero now too via BT, no problems)

If you are actually troubleshooting something, you are still better off exporting the logs in msDroid and viewing them in MLV, as it is a far more powerful/easy to navigate setup. (now)
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Wouldn't it be cool if Phil, (TS and MLV creator), got together with the developer of msDroid, and made a single spectacular package for tuning MS that would run on Linux, Android, and Windows? :idea:
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Phil is a great guy, but he's not doing it as a hobby.
ShadowDash works quite well.

The competition is actually helping things overall IMHO.

It just occured to me that as the std serial devices are working on Android-x86, a chrooted Linux install should run TS just peachy.(i just don't know if an Android-pre-tweaked setup exists for x86)

Finally got by builds booting/working and am now trying to get the wacom pen working etc.

Android-x86 has been nothing but stable on my setup, at least running msDroid.
(has a few limitations, but most apps I have tried work fine)

ShadowDash only allows 3 installs before you have to beg for more, that would last me a couple days as I am testing android builds.
(OTOH the actual /data directory doesn't get wiped, I just install w/o formatting and use grub to select the new android install to test, so it might be no issue)
KendalEspen

Post by KendalEspen »

Dale M. wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:45 pm Does it run "Windows" software? (applications) ....

Dale
I think no..As far as I know, that runs local Android programs. Moreover, they can overload the CPU, so you should remember to choose the tablet with powerful CPU and good RAM.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I've since switched to a Raspberry Pi and Wifi dongle and it works great!

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Devastator wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:57 pm I've since switched to a Raspberry Pi and Wifi dongle and it works great!
not seen you around for a while?! how's it going?

what OS are you running on your Pi? i have one and wanted to use it for this, how are you powering it ect? and which screen?

Cheers

Andy
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Going well, thank you.
I've not been on here in ages. In fact, this will be my last season with a VW engine powering my sandrail. Just procured a supercharged, 2.4L, Ecotec.
The RPi is running Raspbian with a touchscreen and Tunerstudio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UnS-xxT0Aw
That link got me there. From there, I ordered a Wifi to serial module from "perfect Tuning.
https://perfecttuning.net/en/accessorie ... d-ms3.html
I power it off of a rechargeable battery pack so it is portable. 7" touchscreen.
The rest is rock and roll history. :)

Sandrail

going fast enough."
Mario Andretti