MS-3 2110 Buildup

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
Max Welton

Re: MS-3 2110 Buildup

Post by Max Welton »

Well, sensor ground was Mario's suggestion. What have you used that works?

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

~Any of the dozen or so other ground wires that come out of the mainboard or MS3X.
Just not sensor ground.

I have everything else (including ground strap from battery) tied to one big screw on the 1/8" aluminum ECU mount plate, save for the coil power grounds that go to the engine. (mine all hangs under the pass. side back seat, ECU underneath, relays/fuse block and terminal strip on top for easy access)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

And we have ignition!

Pile, you're a wizard. I originally had it grounded this way, but later Mario found some configuration problem that was disabling the spar outputs from the expansion board and I didn't come back to this.

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Well, seems these coil pack connectors aren't as positive as I'd hoped. With the wire-ends plugged into the LS2 it works, Add the connector and it doesn't. Fair warning : don't take stuff like this for granted.

So I got another question. I got a spark both in test mode and just cranking. But my inductive timing light isn't picking that up. I need to fine tune the #1 tooth angle parameter.

Any ideas? Pile, you're on a hot streak. :lol:

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

So I got some assembled pig-tails for the LS2s. Much better.

In order to lay out the engine harness I need to select a spot for the LS2s. I'm using these 2-packs I got from Mario:

The two basic choices are to mount them on the firewall (making them part of the car) or mount them on the fanshoud (making them part of the engine). I would like the entire engine harness to go through one big connector to the car. This will make assembling and testing the engine harness on the engine test stand practical. So I'm leaning towards putting the coil-packs on the shroud.

The car is a type-1 Ghia so there's plenty of room, unlike a bug. I'm trying to visualize different locations.

Any ideas?

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

This was the engine room back when it was a 1600 Kadron engine.

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The manifold mount setup works pretty good on the outside, and you have tons of room.
Make brackets that hangs under the outer TB bolts.
Totally out of the way yet very visible and easily accessible.

RonWs T4 setup did that well, its kinda hidden on mine on stock 2L manifolds in a T3.
ron-ls2coils-sm.JPG
LS2-coils-2L-manifold.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Max Welton wrote:Well, seems these coil pack connectors aren't as positive as I'd hoped. With the wire-ends plugged into the LS2 it works, Add the connector and it doesn't. Fair warning : don't take stuff like this for granted.

So I got another question. I got a spark both in test mode and just cranking. But my inductive timing light isn't picking that up. I need to fine tune the #1 tooth angle parameter.

Any ideas? Pile, you're on a hot streak. :lol:

Max

Sorry, missed the question back in October... Hope this is still of use:

The timing lights coil pickups usually have a directional preference (no, really) and may work better near the plug.
The magnetic goings-on in the coil can jack with it if too close.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Piledriver wrote:The manifold mount setup works pretty good on the outside, and you have tons of room.
Make brackets that hangs under the outer TB bolts.
Totally out of the way yet very visible and easily accessible.
I hadn't thought of that. I'll need to hang the engine in the car to take some measurements.

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Piledriver wrote:The timing lights coil pickups usually have a directional preference (no, really) and may work better near the plug.
The magnetic goings-on in the coil can jack with it if too close.
I did get a signal off the +12v line going into the connector. Actually it seemed like I was getting more than the signal I wanted. I will try the HT lead closer to the plug.

Thanks!

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The 12v line usually works if you leave a loop free for that purpose in the harness.
Guys with COPs do that sometimes.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

So I'm trying find a pass-through connector (or connectors) with which to run my engine harness through the firewall to the MS3 / relay board located under the rear-window area of a type-1 KG.

I'm thinking maybe two connectors to separate the "noisy" stuff from the sensor lines? Molex has a bazilian different plugs. What should I be looking at?

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

DIYAutotune offers some Delphi round connectors for firewalls, haven't used mine yet, I used the heater tube holes and smurf tube.
(gas heat tho).
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Saw that.

I read Ray's description (in another thread) of the goodness of double-cantilever connection designs for automotive applications. His reasoning seems sound. Thing is, I can't tell which are and which are not when browsing the various offerings.

I'm trying to choose wisely on this. First-hand experience would really help.

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Old GM connectors have issues but the newer Metripack and GT versions use AMP-style and much better.
(The Amphenol patents expired, I suspect)