My Megasquirt build, Volksbugly

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
supaninja

Re: My Megasquirt build, Stockish 1600

Post by supaninja »

I don't know how the CB kit mounts the rails but a set of pico sized injectors will help clear the rails. http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/index. ... rkidlo46c1
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Yeah, that is tight. I'm just worried about what will happen when the engine moves. Or if you get any wheel hop.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Supaninja:

Oh good idea on the picos its great to have options especially when you think your backed into a corner. :) yeah yeah pun intended hehe.
I am actually thinking of making some access panels and will add in space if I do it. The fuel rail mounts to the throttle body with a bracket so its not really going anywhere, but I could bend the bracket to accommodate for some shorter injectors

Mario:
yeah that is my concern as well. I did jump up and down on the rear apron and had my finger stuck behind it to feel and I think I might be ok.

man I can't wait till Saturday! I hope to finish all hardware then just have wiring left. :) I have more room on the passenger side.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Here is the latest I've done.
I was able to get the other TB on, mount the doghouse, alternator and get linkage working, on the docket next, mount coils, mount pressure regulator, plumb return line, install fuel filter at tank, mount fuel pump at tank and hook up fuel lines. Then I can start on the Megasquirt wiring.

I booger-ed my web album see page 3 or go to the album directly. Sorry!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1078300117 ... directlink
Last edited by volksbugly on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warp

Post by warp »

Looks like a nice project you have going. :)
Just one word of advice. You need to modify the right fuel rail, the fitting looks to be very close to the body. When you accelerate, change gear or engine break the engine moves around more then you think. If it hits the body you can have a fuel leak spraying gasoline in a hot engine bay at 45 psi! (not good)

I speak of experience as I had the exact same issue as you.

Keep up the good work :wink:
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

warp wrote:Looks like a nice project you have going. :)
Just one word of advice. You need to modify the right fuel rail, the fitting looks to be very close to the body. When you accelerate, change gear or engine break the engine moves around more then you think. If it hits the body you can have a fuel leak spraying gasoline in a hot engine bay at 45 psi! (not good)

I speak of experience as I had the exact same issue as you.

Keep up the good work :wink:
thanks for the heads up :)

I have 5/16" of space on the right side, just enough room I can pass my fuel line by it. I'm going to try this setup out, if it doesn't work I am going to cut the sides and make room, or I will end up using space saver intake manifolds, which will allow me to reverse the side the fuel rail is on, but I really dont want that because then the injector will be spraying at the side of the intake manifold instead of towards the valve.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

warp wrote:You need to modify the right fuel rail, the fitting looks to be very close to the body.
Can you put a plug in there, then drill and tap the "top" of the fuel rail for the same 90 deg. fitting?
Alternatively, maybe you could use 2, 45 deg. fittings to give you a little more room?
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

You really don't want the injectors spraying the side of the mani's, trust me on that...I have to idle >1100 rpms.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

supaninja wrote:You really don't want the injectors spraying the side of the mani's, trust me on that...I have to idle >1100 rpms.
ahh thats really good to know. I was really tossing that idea around. I'll stick with modifying the sides and build some nice access panels for added space.
VolkswagenSlave

Post by VolkswagenSlave »

volksbugly wrote:ah and for full sequential you need a cam sensor and a crank sensor, for the crank I did Mario's pully,
for the cam I did CB Cam Sync.. Its pretty heavy duty I thought it would be some plastic thing but its solid billet its probably about 3 to 5 lbs
CB CamSync:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1078300117 ... 6970977218
one negative - the screw heads were partially stripped :(

That Cam-Sync looks like a nice piece of hardware... I looked up and down on CB's site and also the notorious Google and came back with nada; You have any info on it?

Check out the secret Santa gift that was given to me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGfgvZs ... OO8iJZwtKS

Nice secret Santa gift, illusions are always great gifts. My gifts always seem to be delusions :)
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

VolkswagenSlave wrote:
volksbugly wrote:ah and for full sequential you need a cam sensor and a crank sensor, for the crank I did Mario's pully,
for the cam I did CB Cam Sync.. Its pretty heavy duty I thought it would be some plastic thing but its solid billet its probably about 3 to 5 lbs
CB CamSync:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1078300117 ... 6970977218
one negative - the screw heads were partially stripped :(
That Cam-Sync looks like a nice piece of hardware... I looked up and down on CB's site and also the notorious Google and came back with nada; You have any info on it?
The Cam –Sync is in stock and retails for $119.95. It is not listed on our website so you will need to call mark at CB-Performance to order it.

Check out the secret Santa gift that was given to me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGfgvZs ... OO8iJZwtKS

Nice secret Santa gift, illusions are always great gifts. My gifts always seem to be delusions :)
The gift was from a co-worker, everyone that participates has to build it not buy it :)
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

coils mounted, IAT mounted, return fuel line ran, holes cut for bulkhead
whats left you say?

fuel pump, fuel filter, plumbing the return line ends (I installed a hard line I just have to plumb the ends.), CHT sensor, VR sensor, All wiring for MS, make spark plug wires

then hopefully it will start, then I have to figure out how to tune this thing. :)
Last edited by volksbugly on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Looks nice!

Max
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Devastator wrote:
warp wrote:You need to modify the right fuel rail, the fitting looks to be very close to the body.
Can you put a plug in there, then drill and tap the "top" of the fuel rail for the same 90 deg. fitting?
Alternatively, maybe you could use 2, 45 deg. fittings to give you a little more room?
I'm not sure how I missed this before, but yeah I could totally do that! The drill and tap part, I already have 3/8" NTP tap to!

I'll just have to make sure the hole is close to the end past the injector. Hmm I wonder if I can find a good shop to weld it closed, guess it really doesn't matter since it wont be scene by anyone. :P

I think going with some 45 deg fittings would end up causing more room used.
Thanks for the idea! at least now I have a fairly easy plan if this doesn't work.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

volksbugly wrote:I'll just have to make sure the hole is close to the end past the injector.
Technically, you don't have to be past the injector. The entire fuel rail will be full of fuel and will enter/exit wherever possible.
volksbugly wrote: I think going with some 45 deg fittings would end up causing more room used.
Wasn't sure from the pictures. Oh well.
volksbugly wrote:Thanks for the idea! at least now I have a fairly easy plan if this doesn't work.
NP. Hopefully you won't have to change a thing. 8)
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti