My Megasquirt build, Volksbugly

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
Chip Birks

Re: My Megasquirt build, Volksbugly

Post by Chip Birks »

Why is your MAT so hot? What turbo do you have? Where is your sensor located? Is it an open element type? Is it a gm one?
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Its a bad configuration. The shop that did the work didn't put in the tin to block the exhaust heat, So all that heat gets into the engine bay. Its on my to do list to remedy it.

for reference 2am in the morning on the interstate, when its cold out, its incredibly fast. :P (super-car territory) :P My back is finally in a place where I can wrench again. But now its so freakin cold out... and of course its pouring down rain.... Arrrghhh! I just want to Feel boost again! I mean I just want to drive my car without it bucking. :P
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Wow I haven't updated this in a long time! So the bucking problem was resolved. the TPS wires were run directly in front of my fan and got eaten up... so that was resolved and then I was having a hard time making boost... that was resolved it was due to much heat... resolved it with methanol injection... so now I can make good boost, have launch control working with a button, not a clutch switch so no "flat shift" at the moment, but now I have a pretty bad oil leak... fixed one leak it was the valve cover, but now I cant tell where the other leak is. The oil leak is bad enough that it smokes pretty bad that I cannot drive it on the road. I have to get it on a rack somewhere to take a good look. It might be the turbo. It only leaks/smokes when I get it into high rpm. After I get that resolved its back to the exhaust shop to have one EGT bung removed and rewelded Its pointed right at my mendeola stiffy bar, ooops! When thats done then I can get my EGTs monitored, then install my Flexfuel, replace my aluminium lines with some SS lines, get that E85 tuneed in, then run true flex! and make some real boost safely!
I suspect I'm breaking into the 12 second mark now. Expecially if I put on slicks. If I am on some nice road now I can almost pull the front with my crappy 280 compound tires! lol dialing in launch really is pretty awesome! ok ok enough exclamation points

on a different note: I got my front chin spoiler in from CreativeCarCraft: http://www.creativecarcraft.com/

Project Rocket Bug is in the works. I plan to also put on a wing and then finally build a rear diffuser that will also second as an oil catch tray. Then I'm done with Aero for a while!
Last edited by volksbugly on Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

sounds great!
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Chip Birks wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:41 pm Why is your MAT so hot? What turbo do you have? Where is your sensor located? Is it an open element type? Is it a gm one?
I never did mention this or maybe I did. but that day that I was doing the dyno pull it was 100+ out at Racewarz in Sacramento 2016
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

volksbugly wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:20 pm
Chip Birks wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:41 pm Why is your MAT so hot? What turbo do you have? Where is your sensor located? Is it an open element type? Is it a gm one?
I never did mention this or maybe I did. but that day that I was doing the dyno pull it was 100+ out at Racewarz in Sacramento 2016
Hottest mine has ever been was 220 or so going into my intercooler. That was with my wastegate essentially closed while targeting a huge amount of boost but only making 13psi because of a massive intake leak. My turbo was working super hard, but couldn't make it happen, thus the heat.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Oh wow, I really suck at updating things. With a little one running around now everything takes well, an undetermined amount of time. :D
ok if I remember the measurements correctly I was at around 280 IAT that is measuring it at the bell mouth. so yeah its, open element GM style It was heat soaked from running at the track all day and hardly any shade. the ecu was being safe and retarded the timing to -17 yeah thats right negative 17 ... lol I was like ok cool and what a trip... Really makes me want to get my EGTs finished up. Oh I also burned my hand when trying to open the decklid that was so nice to go along with my sunburn... Hella fun day!
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Finally back into a shop! Sharing a warehouse space with 3 others :) I'm pulling the motor and trying to figure out the leak, putting in a 5 speed, putting in the Porsche 944 rear suspension, finally getting some meat under it, making a removable rear clip, then once thats all done and rolling, get a rollcage put in. or maybe do one myself.