Type 4 Megasquirt project, Now Tuning!

Moderator: Tom Notch

mlauzon

Type 4 Megasquirt project, Now Tuning!

Post by mlauzon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi,

This is my first project with Megasquirt, and hopefuly not the last.

I have recently built a 2270cc type 4 engine long block and want to try using a megasquirt system. I also want to use the EDIS ignition system. I have a v3.0 card running extra code and I believe I have it jumperred correctly for EDIS use.

I have recently purchased a Jimstim board, assembled and tested it per the "on- line" instructions. All checks seem to work including tach wheel test.

I hooked it up to the my MS board and using the TS, all potentiometers are showing to work and outputs can be varied (except spare, but I don’t think I will be using this). FP LED is on and goes off when RPM goes to zero. TACH pulse checked on pin 36 and was observed with an oscilloscope. It also changes when RPM pot is adjusted.

The INJ and IGN LEDs do not light up however, and no pulses can be seen pins 33 and 35 (inj1, inj2) with oscilloscope. The other concern is there is a box in TS that says “not cranking”. I did a lot of reading but can’t understand why that is when RPM can be adjusted from 0 to 6k etc.

I probably need so guidance with the basic setup settings. I did try quite a few of them.

ALL HELP APPRECIATED,

Thanks,

Michel
Last edited by mlauzon on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michel Lauzon
Working on a Type 4 Megasquirt Project

miniman82

Re: Type 4 Megasquirt project, need help.

Post by miniman82 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm

mlauzon wrote:I have a v3.0 card running extra code and I believe I have it jumperred correctly for EDIS use.

It's great you trust yourself, but how about a pic of the board mods? :wink:

The INJ and IGN LEDs do not light up however, and no pulses can be seen pins 33 and 35 (inj1, inj2) with oscilloscope. The other concern is there is a box in TS that says “not cranking”. I did a lot of reading but can’t understand why that is when RPM can be adjusted from 0 to 6k etc.

Did you build the board? If so, something's amiss in the injector driver section.
I probably need so guidance with the basic setup settings. I did try quite a few of them.
If the ECU is seeing an ignition trigger, it should also be firing the injectors. Post the pics, then we can postulate what's wrong withthe board.

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Yeh, I got it going. I updated the MS boards ECU with 3.10 firmware and now I am getting the injectors LEDs to flash with a rate corresponding with RPM pot.

MINIMAN82 thanks for offering to help. I did not build the board. I purchased it from someone who threw in the towel. I cleaned the board up and checked it with assembly instructions to a certain degree.

Michel
Last edited by mlauzon on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Michel Lauzon

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:55 pm

I now need help setting up the Basic setup in particular, Ignition Options. I have this info,

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_EDIS.htm

but not sure of all the settings. One example is under spark mode should I used EDIS or EDIS multispark?

One of the things I would like to do is hook up some spark plugs to the EDIS coil pack like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOrRpaP54LQ

Michel
Last edited by mlauzon on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Michel Lauzon

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:32 pm

I was able to use the Jstim 36-1 generator to test my EDIS . Youtube to come soon.

Still need help with the basic setup. Please
Michel Lauzon

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Michel Lauzon

MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:53 am

Your scope looks like it cost more than my car ;) Nice you got it firing. Are your injector drives still not working as they should?
The Dub Shop
Mario@thedubshop.net
2276 Turbo - 92 Octane
11.537 @ 115.74mph - 15psi
1600 S.C. - 92 Octane
15.47 @ 83mph - 13psi
1600 NA ITB - 18sec :lol:
Facebook-Tech-Store

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm

I borrowed the scope from work. It is about 11 years old and still worth about $5K. Wish it was mine.

Have not addressed the injectors yet. Maybe I will have time next week. I want to do a youtube of the injectors doing a peepee using jimstim. This would be a good test. Still waiting on the 36-1 wheel setup to arrive and doing some reading on MS.

I have realized that it would be a good ideal to get my engine running with carbs and broken in before I try the MS. So that is what I am concentrating on for now.
Michel Lauzon

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 am

I received the type 4 tach wheel from Original Customs and set it up to work the EDIS in Limp mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgJfreZx0w

The EDIS system with VR wheel was then hooked up to the MS with SAW and PIP signals on oscilloscope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C8Q0L0GPNo

Next step is to install tach wheel and sensor on engine behind fan, etc. and get engine running with carbs first.

On the MS end of things, I want to test my fuel pump, regulator, injectors and driving circuits.

I'm not fast but I'm steady.
Michel Lauzon

miniman82

Post by miniman82 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 am

Why not 'test' everything on an actual engine, and get it to run? Is that not the ultimate test? :wink:

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 am

There are many reasons. I am able to get a better grasp of everything in my head and visually of how it all works. It's just how I am. Testing all the components etc. is easier now than in car.

Also knowing how my engine performs with carbs gives me a baseline. I know it's extra work for now but I'm OK with that.

All part of the fun!
Michel Lauzon

supaninja

Post by supaninja » Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Any updates Mike?
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Sun May 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Sorry, no updates. Work, and kids keep getting in the way. My manifolds are with a fabricator getting fitted with injectors but he won't work on them unless I give him a push. I will be doing that soon. In the meantime, I got my carbed engine running nicely on the garage floor and will be installing my 914 this week. I have not given up :)
Michel Lauzon

mlauzon

Post by mlauzon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Update:
The engine is in the car and still using dual 44 webers. It idles at about 900 rpm and seems to run well with no leaks (yet). There is a bit of lag from 2000 to 3200 rpm ( probably because of incorrect jetting/timing), but, after that it pulls strongly to red line.

Before, I installed the engine in my 914, I installed the tach wheel/sensor from Original Customs, so I hope to install the ms system without removing the engine from the vehicle.

So now that I know my engine runs, its time to pull out the MS box, components, wires, etc. that I have been collecting. I want to get back to where I was a year ago. I have forgotten sooo much already.
Michel Lauzon

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:04 pm

You can twiddle all the outputs using the diags if you have MS2/3, no idea if Ms1 has that.

The jimstim has built in "noid" lights if you hook up all the corresponding jumpers.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...