Mahle cylinder boring

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Bsherrard

Mahle cylinder boring

Post by Bsherrard »

Anyone know a shop that can bore my original German Mahle cylinders to 96mm?? Not having any luck finding a place.
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
Piledriver

Re: Mahle cylinder boring

Post by Piledriver »

European Motor Works or RIMCO.
Getting them packaged right is most of the battle.

Be aware you are not saving money going down that path, the new EMW jugs are also not bad from all accounts.
The potential advantage is the heat cycled/aged jugs should stay round better, as well as wear better..

Also note most motorcycle shops can bore/hone free standing iron jugs, or know a machine shop that can.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

Piledriver,
I will check with EMW and RIMCO. Thanks.
Good thought on the bike shops, didn't think of that.
Brook
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

Just a quick follow up. Neither EMW or RIMCO would do the cylinder boring. There is a local shop that does jet ski and motorcycles but they wouldn't do them either. Finally found a machine shop that will do them, they have done them in the past but it was a long time ago. They are going to have to fabricate a thrust plate to do the job. We will see how they turn out - might end up just going with the Chinese junk!
This is just crazy - I bet 20 years ago this was an everyday procedure!
Brook
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Wow, I kinda expected RIMCO to fall off the planet due to all the in-house skill lost over the last few moves.
I also thought this was still a common procedure especially in the bike crowd.

So I guess it is just a matter of hours before the only person on the planet that can afford to repair a car will be Jay Leno.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

I have a set of those cylinders and considered both boring the 94s to 96s, and finding workable 94s for the 66mm crank(T1Cs...i think that's what it is), but in the end with Pile's good advice and considering the fact I'm a cheap ass, I decided to hold off to get set of EMW 96 Ps&Cs. Glad I waited...I ended up acquiring a 71mm crank when my son gave up on his T4 dreams.

H2OSB
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

I may end up going that route if the boring doesn't work out. I really prefer to keep the German Mahle's - they are nice cylinders!
I guess I could always splurge on Nickies, I mean hey...their only $2,760!!
Brook
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Call Roy at Mofoco. He may not be a type 4 full time mechanic.....but I will wager he has tools and experience including torque plates to hone cylinders.
Ray
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

Ray -
thanks for the suggestion. I did find a local machine shop here in Orlando that is going to bore them. They don't specialize in air cooled so I am hoping for the best. I just got back from Germany - maybe I should have taken them over there and tried to get them done:)
Brook.
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

The problems you are finding is why I cringe at the habits from the past 40 years...of simply removing worn out...but unbroken cylinders and throwing them in the trash. It was always said that re-boring was not cost effective.

Now...we have problems finding good cylinder castings.....and re-boring may now be the best option....but everyone threw away the castings. The real deal is making sure you have a torque plate on the machine that fits your cylinders. Ray
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

Cylinders back from machine shop and look good and after all the waiting, it only cost $160.
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

thought I would update and close out this thread. As I mentioned, I was able to get my cylinders bored out by Revmasters Machine Shop in Orlando. They came out great. Here are some pictures after I cleaned them, media blasted the fins and painted with Rustoleum flat black thinned 20% with mineral spirits. So much better than what I can buy new (except of course Nickies which are in a league and price range all their own).
cylinders 2.jpg
Cylinders 1.jpg
Brook
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
914werke

Post by 914werke »

Thanks for the follow up
So next question is Revco interested in doing more?
How many more, would it make it viable to receive a discount? How much?
At 160 + shipping its hard to compete with NEW castings from the usual sources.
While I understand the general reasoning for going this direction I dont agree all "Chinese" products are Junk ~
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Revmasters Machine Shop in Orlando, Florida.

They probably had to make torque plates, and tooling/setup is usually 75-90% of a machine shops costs...
I would expect a large volume discount if you wanted to do more than 1 set..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

914Werk I’m not sure if they would do more. This thread is two years old. They have done a few other things for me over the last two years

Brook
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E