914 rust eval

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
jack sun

914 rust eval

Post by jack sun »

Would anyone be able to direct me to an image of the 914 body as it is assembled?

need to know if the front wheel wells with rust through are into the longs?

both wheel wells are rusted through and some rust on the sills.

tks in advance.

jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Type 4 Unleashed

Re: 914 rust eval

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

jack sun wrote:Would anyone be able to direct me to an image of the 914 body as it is assembled?

need to know if the front wheel wells with rust through are into the longs?

both wheel wells are rusted through and some rust on the sills.

tks in advance.

jack
Hi Jack
I don't have any of one being assembled, and looked for the ones I have of my longs but can't find them.
You need to remove the rocker panels to see how bad it is, especially at the Jack plates
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
jack sun

Post by jack sun »

tks for the reply, he says that he has never used the jack?

anyway, he is a bit evasive in info, says he has no idea what "longs" are.

says that he concentrated on the engine in the last four or five years, although never removed the engine.

that it is "up to you" to find the info regarding the rust through and where it goes.

wish I felt like he was giving me straight up info.

I am not willing to drive the 150 miles to be disappointed.

he has been trying to sell it for about three mths from my reading.

people are people. some think that there is bound to be someone to come along that will

not know anything and they will be able to unload their problems at a price that is over what

it should be...

tks again

jack
Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

Where are my manners, Welcome to Shoptalkforums.

It doesn't matter that he never used the jack, what happens is dirt leaves and what ever are thrown up in there by the rear wheels and over time it builds up around the jack plate, then it will hold water and rust out and around the jack plate, that is what that rust is from in your 1st picture of the rust in your door sill.

If your looking for a project with having to do a lot of repairs $$ for rust, then this is the car for you.
Keep looking, even if you have to pay to have a good one shipped, it would be far cheaper than having to do the extent of rust repairs I see just in your pics.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

jack sun wrote:tks for the reply, he says that he has never used the jack?

anyway, he is a bit evasive in info, says he has no idea what "longs" are.

says that he concentrated on the engine in the last four or five years, although never removed the engine.

that it is "up to you" to find the info regarding the rust through and where it goes.

wish I felt like he was giving me straight up info.

he has been trying to sell it for about three mths from my reading.

people are people. some think that there is bound to be someone to come along that will

not know anything and they will be able to unload their problems at a price that is over what

it should be...

tks again

jack
From what you've said the owner told you and seeing the first picture, I would run from that car. I smell a rat. . . Concentrating on an engine for 4-5 years yet never removing it. . . Huge B.S. flag to me.

The rust in the longitudinal is B-A-D if it's poking out from below the door jam. I would bet that the entire longitudinal is gone underneath. How is the "hell hole" and battery tray in the engine compartment?? Even more importantly, the outer rear suspension console mount??

From the photo, I would bet that the body would flex enough to make the door gaps move a lot if you removed the roof and stood on the passenger seat and flexed at the knees.

Playing dumb when selling a bad car is about the lowest thing anyone can do IMHO. :evil:

Run Forest, run!! :lol:
jack sun

Post by jack sun »

Thank you for your replies....

I will keep looking and will find one.... maybe next spring...

the best selling point for this car is that the interior is about perfect no cracks anywhere.

tks again

jack