Building a 2.3 liter engine, start with 1.8 or 2.0 ?

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
falcor

Building a 2.3 liter engine, start with 1.8 or 2.0 ?

Post by falcor »

From what I understand the 2.0 is the better base engine due to better flowing heads etc but what other differences are there?

I'm still hunting for a 914 but finding the right car is hard. (73-74, silver or black 2.0 with a good body)
I've found a seemingly rustfree '72 1.8 that I like but since my goal is building a 2270 cc engine would the 1.8 be much worse than starting from a 2.0?
theKbStockpiler

Re: Building a 2.3 liter engine, start with 1.8 or 2.0 ?

Post by theKbStockpiler »

There might be minor differences to the cases which don't mater.

If all other things are equal go with the 2.0. Do a search on 914 2.0 used heads and this will give you an idea of how much more a 2.0 long block is worth. A stock 1.7-1.8 crank can't really be stroked where as it is worth it , maybe to 71mm which is nowhere near a 2.3 stroke, is it a 78mm for a 2.3? If you look at photos of used 2.0 914 heads, most of them must be going through regular salvage yards because of the exhaust studs being twisted off. It's not cost effective for them to heat the nut a little, better to twist if off. 2.0 914 heads have a tendency to crack. There is the expensive option to go new from a company in Spain I think it is but they do a lousy job so you basically have to have the new heads rebuilt. I think I read where they are good for 30k before they drop a valve.
Super beetle with attitude
aircooledtechguy

Re: Building a 2.3 liter engine, start with 1.8 or 2.0 ?

Post by aircooledtechguy »

IMHO, I don't think it really matters which motor you start with because they all have advantages and disadvantages.

My preference would be to start with a 1.7L motor. This will give you the rockers you need AND give you the 66mm stroke crank that you can have stroked to 78mm. As for heads, you can always find a better set of 2.0L heads for sale at a decent price to have rebuilt or just option for a new set of 3 stud head copies from HAM Inc. 75% of the Porsche specific heads are going to be found to be cracked when you open up the motor so why not just search for a set that's not??