914 transmission alternatives

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Ghost Tracker

Re: 914 transmission alternatives

Post by Ghost Tracker »

What's your threshold to define BIG Turbo HP? There are some Subaru Gurus pushing a BUNCH of manifold pressure.

I'm VERY interested in this tranny set-up! Since the Subaru trans isn't "flipped" to work as mid-engined, is the shift pattern conventional compared to the reverse-patterned 901? Also, I see you're in Australia. Will you have a US distributor or are we direct to you (re:shipping)?

Thanks!
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Since the T4's are running 400+ steet driven HP on only 4 cyl. I figure around 600+HP on a 6 cyl. would be fairly big.

So, what are the Subi Gurus running? Any of them running turbos? How about a link to that?
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

CobraJet wrote:
ttriebler wrote:Why not just put a Subaru 5 speed AWD transmission converted to 2WD?
They are light, strong, affordable, modern 5 speeds that fit in there like a glove........
How well do the Subi auto trans hold up to BIG turbo horsepower?
I was referring to the Subie MANUAL trans.
But the Subie AUTO trans can be modified to hold up to 1,000hp - plenty.
They are factory rated for atleast 280hp stock.
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Ghost Tracker wrote:What's your threshold to define BIG Turbo HP? There are some Subaru Gurus pushing a BUNCH of manifold pressure.

I'm VERY interested in this tranny set-up! Since the Subaru trans isn't "flipped" to work as mid-engined, is the shift pattern conventional compared to the reverse-patterned 901? Also, I see you're in Australia. Will you have a US distributor or are we direct to you (re:shipping)?

Thanks!
I keep prices down by selling direct on the internet - no need for a distributor as I ship worldwide in 5 days.
As mid engined 914's don't need flipped ring and pinions, you only need the 2WD locking sleeve, transmission end plate and the Subaflanges from me.
The shift pattern depends on which shift rods are installed in the car but many pple have already installed subie transmissions and just joined the shift rod to the subie shift rod with a universal joint. I think it all works the correct way.

If you have an engine that realistically makes 400hp or 600hp as per previous posts (and not internet horsepower) you will likely need to upgrade to billet gearsets like PPG which are rated to 800hp. But this takes around $4000 extra out of the budget.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

(and not internet horsepower)
:lol:

Sanity check folks...
A 914 with ~200-250 HP is in a very comfortable zone of "really freaking fun". (with appx stock weight) but could already greatly benefit from chassis stiffening, brake upgrades etc.
>~350HP would border on reasonably insane, Corvette eating territory in a 2100 lb mid-engined RWD car, but putting it to the ground would become a real problem.

One with >600 real HP would need slicks and a full tube frame so as not to fold up on acceleration.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.