v8 progressive carb???

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
surfaccing

v8 progressive carb???

Post by surfaccing »

before i get a bashing. iam in texas. it's really really really difficult to get a set of carbs for any aircooled vw. but i can walk into any autoparts store and pretty much build a running v8 motor if i just bring in a chevy v8 block and a set of tools!

i have a 1976 914 chalon with a type 4 2L motor. as of now i don't have any carbs, just a set of FI that don't work nor do i want to make them work as iam saving up and doing the research to do a massive turbo motor build.
a local vw club member is giving me a set of progressive manifolds and he says all i need is a carb and base and im good to go. so i was wondering if there was a way i could get a v8 holly 2 or 4 barrel carb to work on a stock 2L motor?
if not iam on the look out for a weber 44 progressive carb
Piledriver

Re: v8 progressive carb???

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome to the STF, where'yat?

If you are in central Texas, the Classic is coming up RSN, I bet you'd be able to select from dozens of sets of carbs/manifolds at the swapmeet.
surfaccing wrote:before i get a bashing. iam in texas. it's really really really difficult to get a set of carbs for any aircooled vw. but i can walk into any autoparts store and pretty much build a running v8 motor if i just bring in a chevy v8 block and a set of tools!

i have a 1976 914 chalon with a type 4 2L motor. as of now i don't have any carbs, just a set of FI that don't work nor do i want to make them work as iam saving up and doing the research to do a massive turbo motor build.
a local vw club member is giving me a set of progressive manifolds and he says all i need is a carb and base and im good to go. so i was wondering if there was a way i could get a v8 holly 2 or 4 barrel carb to work on a stock 2L motor?
if not iam on the look out for a weber 44 progressive carb
The problem with center mount carbs is there is no manifold heat provision, so to make it run ~OK you have to set it up really rich, which kills the fuel economy and rinses down the cylinder walls... This is why dual carbs or EFI is always recommended.

The factory 2.0 EFI manifolding will work a LOT better than the garbage that comes with progressive carbs.
A MS1 kit is $140 at DIYAutotune... :twisted:

Up to ~2.3L the factory 2.0 Porsche manifolds are probably all you want up to >400HP boosted, but you might need to rethink the plenum design/size, a Bus/Vanagon plenum layout (side entry) gives less turbulence and flows better. (I widened a Vanagon plenum 3")

If you can score a set of manifolds for dual Weber progressives, that setup works reasonably well.
Not sure if anyone made T4 manifolds for the Solex P40s, but a pair of 500CFM Holleys would work peachy and would probably adapt.

(It would probably be easiest just to make manifolds if you can fab stuff)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
surfaccing

Post by surfaccing »

yup cruise to classic for my club is friday morning with the friday night cruise at the classic and early vendor set up friday afternoon 8) and the best deals saturday morning and sunday morning.
however iam working :evil: so the show is out for me. i do have a buddy of mine looking around for me and ill see if i can get him some cash just incase he can find me a sweet deal.
really i can put a dual pair of 500holley's on a 2.3l setup? do u think a holley/edelbrock setup for a turbo would work for a big turbo motor? the only reason iam asking is i do plan to build a big motor and i do wanna go turbo.

iam so happy to get a positive reply. i would never post this on the samba for obvious reasons :oops:
anyways, like i said the progressive set up is only because it's all i can get right now. i can't afford $1200+ for a dual carb set up and honestly i can't find anything cheaper then that. when i bought the 914 there were like a dozen dual carbs on the samba for like $350-$500 and i had the money... but i had to please my dad and i tried to have the EFI system rebuilt but like i said down here in central texas there's just no market for it so it all fell through (although i didn't spend a penny, just couldn't get all the parts, the diagnostic tools, the knowledge... ect.)
i was given a free set of progressive carb manifolds for a local club member today, and i have the EFI manifolds i could cut up and weld.
to set up a custom manifold would i just need a base for the carb to sit on and 2 down tubes that bolt up the the heads. so essentialy if i get a set of exhaust pipes that are the same size as a dual manifold and i just weld them together at the base would it work? how would u go about making a set of custom manifold to fit a v8 carb. well i can make the base for the carb no problem it's the downtubes i know nothing about. iam not affraid to make anything, i made a custom set of headers for my baja bug, just gotta say im not the best welder out there, but after a grinder it looks clean :lol:
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

Plenty of dual setups for your engine, AS IS, out there. IF you are trying to buy a one size fit all carb
to use later with turbo, you will fail.

Even 36DRLAs would work better than a centermount...go duals. I found 3 sets in 5 minutes.

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
surfaccing

Post by surfaccing »

i know i can't get a one size fits all carb. right now im in need of a 36 or 40 dual set up. everytime i go on thesamba i can't find dual setups for 914.
were are u finding them?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Yeah, I wish I could go too. :x

T4 Weber/Dell manifolds are $50/pair all day long, a dual Weber setup is a dual weber setup, the jetting isn't really any different T1/T4.
(although CB generally supplies carbs with mains about 4 sizes too big out of the box)
With 44 IDFs you'd want F11 tubes, ~135 mains, 180-200 airs, ~55 idles, pretty std fare.
The above jetting would be a good starting place on any motor around 2L... from stock to pretty stout.

There's only one throttle linkage setup I can actually recommend for dual carbs...
Synclink or build your own using the same principles.
(there's a long thread on that somewhere, search is working again I hear)

You can blow through Webers or Dells or use them as throttle bodies later with EFI.

Having said all that...
Without hesitation I'd use the factory Porsche manifolds/TB etc with FI on any <2.3L not totally radical motor.
VW/Porsche did their homework on the design, works great.
Note I did NOT say using the factory computer/wiring etc... That's usually junk (with apologies to Ray)

A set of Webers will LOOK/sound cooler, but a MS setup on the factory manifolds...
No comparision. I'd do MS2 again in a heartbeat--- Or CIS :twisted:
(I have done both now, CIS conversions several times)

I have to recommend MS2 over MS1 due to some features I don't think I'd like to be without,
(driveability related, separate idle timing mode) plus it's easier to work with and more flexible, well worth the extra ~$90.

BTW---I suggest the zero'th thing you need to do is replace the plastic fuel lines in your center tunnel.
Steel brake line works great. Then have your tank cleaned and coated.---carbs or FI.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
surfaccing

Post by surfaccing »

dstar thanks for the link!

pile driver. im a young teenager thats just starting to learn all about cars. i've been doing research the last 13years and im pretty knoledable. i know a hell of a lot more then the average teenager. i really do want to go MS2 but i know nothing of FI systems. i read into the MS setup and got lost real fast. im start to do my homework and ill be spening days on the megasquirt section of the forums. but yes right now i have a guy close to town with some 40/44 solex for a type1 and i have another buddy with a set of 3bolt monifolds for a type 4. so im going to give them a call after im done working tomorrow and we'll see how that works. if it doesn't its off to the forsale section of this forum and looking around
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There's a lot of good information in the Megasquirt manuals, and many good links to external references on the forums.

Don't rush anything, money spent twice is usually money wasted.
(Unless she's really cute :lol: )
surfaccing wrote:dstar thanks for the link!

pile driver. im a young teenager thats just starting to learn all about cars. i've been doing research the last 13years and im pretty knoledable. i know a hell of a lot more then the average teenager. i really do want to go MS2 but i know nothing of FI systems. i read into the MS setup and got lost real fast. im start to do my homework and ill be spening days on the megasquirt section of the forums. but yes right now i have a guy close to town with some 40/44 solex for a type1 and i have another buddy with a set of 3bolt monifolds for a type 4. so im going to give them a call after im done working tomorrow and we'll see how that works. if it doesn't its off to the forsale section of this forum and looking around