T1 engine on a 914 gearbox?

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Joe Perez

Re: T1 engine on a 914 gearbox?

Post by Joe Perez »

Hmm. To shorten my shaft or to ream my hole...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Marc wrote:Input shaft is longer on all transaxles intended for a Type IV engine, may bottom out in the crankshaft bore of a Type I...don't know if that'll be an issue with the Suby, but if it is you may need to commit the sacrilege of chopping about 1/4" off of the 914 input shaft (or bore the crank deeper).
Hmmm... I must have forgotten to hit "submit" at home...

The 901 wasn't actually "intended" for a T4, the input shaft bearing on a 914 is in the flywheel for this reason.

On a late 002 or 091 bus trans, yes, true, the input shaft needs hit with a cutoff for a T1.
(No idea on a Suby swap)

Also note the 228mm setup works fine in a 901, so make sure your Kennedy FW/PP for the suby is a 228.
(It probably will be if you told them it's for a 901 trans)

The Kennedy stage 3 228 PP will hold insane TQ, and reportedly still has a reasonable pedal.
This is used on the V8 swaps etc.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Joe Perez

Post by Joe Perez »

Piledriver wrote:The 901 wasn't actually "intended" for a T4, the input shaft bearing on a 914 is in the flywheel for this reason.

On a late 002 or 091 bus trans, yes, true, the input shaft needs hit with a cutoff for a T1.
Well, this is good to know.

I ordered the KEP kit about a week ago, opted for the 9" (228mm) flywheel and the "Stage II" clutch package. They claim 273 ft/lbs holding force on that combo, which ought to be more than enough for this application.

Sidebar: I weighed the stock flywheel that I took off the Suby engine. 24 lbs. Crikey.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The stock 228 T4/WBX flywheel weghs ~14 lbs sans PP.

(The pressure plate margely makes up for this tho, bigun)
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Piledriver wrote:The 901 wasn't actually "intended" for a T4, the input shaft bearing on a 914 is in the flywheel for this reason.
Thanks, I was not aware of that fact - a few years back I was researching what it'd take to put a Type I motor into a `76 912E, and based my comments upon that. If the 914 carries its pilot bearing in the flywheel, it must have the same length input shaft snout as a Type I...never owned one, I'll take your word for it.

For the record, the actual difference in snout length (comparing a `68-`71 Type II to a `72-up Type II for example) is 11mm...but usually it only takes half of that to eliminate any bottoming problem. Probably irrelevant with the Suby, but considering the consequences IMO it'd still be smart to check.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Bizarrely (or perhaps expectedly...) I just happen to have 2 901 trans and a complete CIS injected T3 motor (no typo) chilling out on a pallet under a tarp in the backyard.

I'll stick them together for you and remove all doubt, measuring any input shaft end clearance with that high tech Play-doh! material.
(Thank goodness for magnesium transmission cases)

I'll try and do it today.

I just got off a 12 and wifey wants to go to Ross, but I need to actually install a MS and get the squareback running this weekend, if not driving, so I need a 90 degree bend of 2" pipe to connect the muffler under the RR mount.

Thank goodness for 5 Hour Energy as well...

The 914 Bursch exhaust at least LOOKS nice with the stretched EMW pipes on the 1.8, but all that's entirely off topic and needs to go in another forum, I'll have to turn myself in :lol:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I put a small wad of heavy grease on the end of the input shaft and slid the 901 trans in the T3 motor (it fully seated)
(I needed to grease the bearing anyway :lol: )

Had full FW/disc/PP etc of course.

it seems there is > (appx)1/8" end clearance as it didn't touch the grease as far as I can tell.
I finished the grease job with a spare input shaft...

YYMV, this is an easy 30 second test, you should check yours in a similar fashion just in case.